KH Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

As some of you know, I'm using a Carbo-Plus system and I've run into a problem with a low KH level. Can anyone tell me how to boost it? Am I going to need some kind of buffer or will water changes be required? Thanks.

And I told you to get rid of the Carbo-Plus :D

Well you can use baking soda. But it also will raise your pH quite a bit. If your gH is also low you can use calcium carbonate. If you can find some calcium chloride it will also work to raise the kH.

Baking soda works great, but you have apply it in small amounts then retest till you get KH set. It will raise your pH but thats the point. Since you are probably to acidic from the carbonic acid. Also baking soda will provide a buffer against pH swings.

Wouldn't Seachem's Alkaline Buffer (which is calcium carbonate based) work as well. Obviously it will raise the PH, but it has no phosphates in it as some brands of baking soda might. Just a thought. Betowess

Baking soda should not have any phosphates in it. Don't confuse baking soda with baking powder as they are different. Calcium carbonate will also raise the gH as well as the kH. And baking soda is very cheap compared to the Seachem product.

Righto, I was getting the baking soda mixed up with baking powder. Must've been half baked. Thanks for pointing that out. :wink: Cheers, Bob

I have nothing useful to add to this thread but....half baked? Oi LOL Thats a HORRIBLE pun LOL

Back
Top Bottom