KH low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HausMaus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just did a hardness test for my 35L/10g planted tank, that I recently got platys for.
So the GH is supposed to be between 8-12, currently 5 but slowly bringing it up.
The KH has bottomed out, I put like 1 drop in and it turned yellow immediately (usually goes blue first, Sera liquid test). Usually I have 4-5.
My Ph is 7.4

I asked the LFS which was more important: Ph or KH and he said Ph.

But the KH is so low. Short of doing a yo-yo with adding KH+ and then Ph-, any other solutions?? Thoughts? Advice?

I just did a hardness test for my 35L/10g planted tank, that I recently got platys for.
So the GH is supposed to be between 8-12, currently 5 but slowly bringing it up.
The KH has bottomed out, I put like 1 drop in and it turned yellow immediately (usually goes blue first, Sera liquid test). Usually I have 4-5.
My Ph is 7.4

I asked the LFS which was more important: Ph or KH and he said Ph.

But the KH is so low. Short of doing a yo-yo with adding KH+ and then Ph-, any other solutions?? Thoughts? Advice?

Buy some crushed coral and put it in the filter. Maybe one cup full. I saw in another thread you change water every fortnight? This is ok in a heavily planted tank but kh will naturally fall over time due to bacterial activity. Your plants my also be using carbonates if c02 is scarce. If you don't add crushed coral soon your ph will start to fall. The acids in the water will erode the coral which releases carbonates which raises ph. As the ph rises the erosion will become slower until your tank remains at a stable ph. It's the best way to safely raise kh and stabilise ph. Kh is what stops ph from falling so of its low then ph will fall. A decline in ph can cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I usually answer this with how much I hate crushed coral and prefer low doses of cichlid buffer. But you're so close to fine I'll +1 the coral.

The ph/KH isn't an either or question, as you're learning.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom