Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not in my current marineland penguin, but I'm getting an eheim 2213 in the mail tomorrow. Maybe that will help... Also I have space in a hollowed out rock in the thank i put some coral in and I can definitely fit more in there.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I would definitely put it anywhere you can hide it. Some people suggest to mix it into the substrate, but I find that has some drawbacks - a) it's quite sharp if you have any bottom fish and b) it does eventually need replacing, and you do you do that if it's mixed into the substrate?
In your 2213 I would take out the carbon pad and see how much coral you can get into its place, in a media bag.

I have this problem too, my water has absolutely no kH and it's always a struggle

Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot. Will the PH raise too high if i put too much in?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will go up at, but not astronomically, and perhaps temporarily. Mine goes up .2-.3 for a week or so after fresh coral, but then goes back down to where it started.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was at 6.0 PH, after 5 days its up to 6.8-7.0 and I don't think it would be good to raise it much more right? If thats true, is it worth having a higher PH to get the kH up?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can be higher than that no problem. Higher is not a problematic pH level.

In fact I would only call under 6.5 a problematic pH level.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

KH Test Question

Awesome thanks for the advice. I have leftover coral (bought 1lb put half in). Ill put the rest in tomorrow when my new filter comes!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

API test kit start from pale blue, and will turn orange, depending on the KH. If the KH is low, then you may finish with very very pale orange.

It means your water is probably 1 dKHį. Mine is 2dKHį and is a bit hard to read too...

If I test RODI water, then it start from transparent/light yellow to darker orange... It means the KH is 0 dKHį

I suggest you add a bit baking soda to new replacement water as it seems really really soft. PH flukes are bad for fishs... KH is a PH buffer that prevent flukes and raise PH a bit. Half a teaspoon of baking soda for 4-6 gallons new water is almost enough, depend on the final KH you want to reach.

If you want to test your test kit, take a 4-10g bucket, full it with water, add a teaspoon of baking soda to it, stirr, then test it. You'll get higer KH reading, and you'll be able to see the color change.

Tags
question, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com