Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

KH value high...

My KH value in my tank is at 17. This is way above what the recommended value of 3-10 is supposed to be. The PH is at 8 and the GH is at 16. What do I need to do get these levels down? I need to do something pretty soon, I would think!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most fish adapt pretty well to local water conditions. The general rule of thumb is that if you can drink the water it is probably ok for most common aquarium fish. If you really want to bring the kH down without spending alot of money you can buy RO purified water from many grocery stores. Get a 5 gal carboy or two and fill them. Then when you do your 20% weekly water change, use half tap water and half RO to refill the tank. That should get you to the range you want gradually.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your water sounds very similar to my tapwater in Arizona. For what its worth, its perfect for cichlids. Most hardy fish will do fine in it, as well.

In my heavily planted tank, I run half tapwater and half R/O water, then run CO2 injection for the plants. Lowering the KH by mixing allows the CO2 to bring the PH down to right at 7 safely. This allows me to keep fish that wouldn't do well in our tapwater (i.e. rams).

Messing with PH is tricky. Your fish will be much happier with a stable PH than one that fluctuates, even if it is a little high for their liking.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Messing with PH is tricky. Your fish will be much happier with a stable PH than one that fluctuates, even if it is a little high for their liking.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Out of curiousity- what type fish do you have and is their behavior causing your concern for changing the hardness values?
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have two Yellow Labs and one Brichardi in there. One of the labs is just staying in one spot all of the time just kind of hovering. He isnt swimming and having fun like the other two are. I thought maybe he was sick or something.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I think your Africans will be very happy in your tap water, but if I recall you are cycling the tank with these fish so it might have more to do with ammonia and/or nitrite present in the water. How is the cycle going?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually, the cycling is going well...the ammonia is down to 0 and the nitrites are starting to fall and the nitrates are going up. I put in some "cycle" as well as some rocks and gravel from an already established tank hoping to speed things along.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If the fish are looking poorly I would do a water change and be sure you have aeration in there, plus the salt - and I think you are using Rift Lake Cichlid Salts, right? Nitrite may be to blame here.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually, the problem with that one fish, I think, is that the other one keeps chasing him out of open water. I was watching them today and the "sick" fish kept swimming into open water and the other lab kept chasing him back as soon as he saw them. They are now chasing each other.

I am using the Seachem Cichlid Lake salts...the nitrites are beginning to come down as the chemicals arent as orange as they were yesterday and are looking more on the yellow side (in my kit, yellow means less than 0.3mg nitrites...orange is exactly 0.3mg)
Old 08-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

How would I add aereation? Do I need an airpump or something?

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com