Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Khuli question

I asked a while ago about 'eel' like fish for my 5 year old eel-obsessed son. I was advised khuli loaches - and on reading up on them, I think this a great idea.

I will shortly be upgrading my tank. Which allows me to allocate tank space to my son's obsession.

I have one further query (as I wouldn't want to stock the little blighters to no purpose) ...

Much of the info on khuli loaches suggests they are nocturnal/shy. Assuming they have sufficient hiding places/cover, and no aggressive tank Mates, can I be confident they will be out and about? Or will they mostly hide?

I ask as my son has less patience than I do.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine are always out and about, I have 6 black and they are such characters. They do laps around the tank and find all kind of odd places to hang. Now they do like caves and such but for the most part they are pretty active

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Khuli question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagon View Post
I asked a while ago about 'eel' like fish for my 5 year old eel-obsessed son. I was advised khuli loaches - and on reading up on them, I think this a great idea.

I will shortly be upgrading my tank. Which allows me to allocate tank space to my son's obsession.

I have one further query (as I wouldn't want to stock the little blighters to no purpose) ...

Much of the info on khuli loaches suggests they are nocturnal/shy. Assuming they have sufficient hiding places/cover, and no aggressive tank Mates, can I be confident they will be out and about? Or will they mostly hide?

I ask as my son has less patience than I do.

I see mine out about 50% of the time. They like subdued/low lighting. They do like to hide, but if they are comfortable in their environment (in groups of 5 or more, in a heavily planted tank, etc.), they'll come out. Kuhlies also have a love for bloodworms.

Here is one of mine out in the daytime, hanging around some Crypts:

Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mine are out and about all of the time. But the plants are pretty thick so I have to look. Usually one cruiser hangs out in the front to show off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	302651
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Many apologies. I belatedly realise I never thanked him you for your comments. So, thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

heres my eels they out day and night lol they do hide occasionally but normally always in sight ...they also like going into our jet pump thing Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_204555.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	306346Click image for larger version

Name:	20171222_220627.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	306347 they chase each other alot and they are so fun to watch they get in some funny places ...they are half banded spiney eels

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com