Killer clown pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I thought the killing spree was over once I got rid of the skunk botias. But this morning I saw my clown pleco resting on the head of the rubberlip pleco when I first turned the lights on. I thought, as a joke, "Maybe it's trying to suck the rubberlip's eye out or something." Right before I left for work, they were both halfway down the tank, the clown pleco still right next to the rubberlip. And when I came home today the rubberlip was dead and quite nibbled on, including what looked like sucker marks around the one eye. Now, quite likely, the rubberlip was already dead when I saw the clown pleco on it this morning. But I have to wonder, because a rubberlip was the first victim of last week's killing spree. So was my clown pleco responsible all along?? Everything I'd read and been told has been that clown plecos are peaceful and dedicated algae eaters. Has anyone ever heard of a clown pleco killing other fish? I should add there is a very big piece of driftwood in the tank and I throw in algae wafers a couple times a week, so I really don't think it's a dietary issue.

It's possible it was the clown pleco that attacked the rubberlip. Both eat algae and were probably competing for food. I have a clown pleco (I've never had a rubberlip) and he is pretty aggresive. He sometimes attacks my african dwarf frogs when they come into his territory in a small cave-like thing. And I've seen him attack my dojo loach, which is easily 3 times the size of the pleco. It's kinda wierd though because it shares the very small cave with a SAE, spotted raphael catfish, and striped raphael catfish- it must be really crowded in there.

What other fish were killed? And how often do you feed the wafers? I throw in 4 every night and they are always gone by morning.

The other fish killed last week were a guppy and a female betta, both of which slept on the bottom of the tank. I know the skunk botias had it in for the guppy. But a LOT of my fish sleep on the bottom... Anyway, I only throw in an algae wafer once or twice a week, depending on whether there's observable algae in the tank. Right now the top of the conch shell is turning bright green, so I haven't fed an algae chip since Tuesday, I think. I really hope the rubberlip was already dead when the clown pleco attacked it. Even though I'm pissed that I can't seem to keep a rubberlip alive, I'd rather not have one than have some mystery fish killer in my tank.

I have clowns in with a rubberlip as well as bristlenosed and orange spot ancistrus. They've been together for months without a problem. Perhaps you just got the one bad egg so to speak. :?: Sorry for your loss.

Hmmm. I dunno did you recently add new fish before the guppy and betta were killed? The clown pleco wouldn't of killed him. Looking at your sig the platies, tetras, danios, female bettas, guppies, dojo are all pretty peaceful. They wouldn't of killed for sure. Maybe the fish just died? or did you see them get killed?

The skunk botias were all evicted last weekend. They were my prime suspects for all the dead fish. I may just be cursed as far as actually keeping a rubberlip pleco alive, but have two killed in a row is getting a bit annoying. Are they particulary delicate or something? The dojo loach is the replacement snail patrol for the botias, so technically he's a new fish. But before that the botias were the obvious suspects for all the dead bodies. Even my dwarf gourami has proved to be one of the most peaceful fish in the tank and I was warned that he would be a territorial fish. He's become one of my faves--swims right into my hand when I'm doing water changes. Anyway, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope this latest rubberlip died au naturel. I'm still a bit surprised that the clown pleco would show interest in another fish, since I thought they were fairly strict algae/driftwood eaters. Would figure I get the mutant psychotic clown pleco. :roll:

Sry but i must inform you that plecos of any kind can be very territorial i had a common pleco that killed a Bushy Nose One one time...1 Needs to be in a tnak by itself unless the tank is atlest 20gal and lots of hiding places. My rule is 15 hiding places 20gals....now tat i know what i know!

Dan :)

I've heard they're very agressive when it comes to territory and that if they don't have enough food to eat, they attack another fish's slime coat.

Back
Top Bottom