Killer fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cherry Barbs really like to swim so the 10g might be a bit restricting for them. I do think the Cories would appreciate moving not the 55, schools of Cory Cats are great (assuming they are the same type, if not, they will school by type). The little Rasb should be in the 55 so it has something to do. You might be OK just moving the Serpaes into the 10. Then again, if you think they are nippy, you are just putting different fish at risk and the fish in the 10g will have less places to run. Keep an eye on the 10g, because while trying to free up space in the 55g, it will be easy to overstock the 10g. If you take out 3 Cories and the Rasb, you will have four less fish, and the Serpaes might fit. Honestly though, I think you should try trading in the Serpaes for credit if you can if you think they are nippy. Smaller tanks are very likely to have water quality flucuations compared to a larger tank in non optimal conditions.

I have watched my Guppies try to mate with my Cherry Barbs repeatedly and not a single Guppy has been nipped so far. In my experience they are not nippers even when a little fish chases them around constantly.

I have had gouramis 4 separate times and each time I've had very bad experiences because they are so aggressive. I don't know what they're called but they use their *feelers* and chase the other fish touching them and driving them into a panic. They nip as well. I've given up on gouramis until I can have another non-community tank.

Sati said:
I have had gouramis 4 separate times and each time I've had very bad experiences because they are so aggressive. I don't know what they're called but they use their *feelers* and chase the other fish touching them and driving them into a panic. They nip as well. I've given up on gouramis until I can have another non-community tank.

Yea, I understand that. I know they don't like that 10 gal tank. Course since it was supposed to be a qt tank there is no place to really hide. thinking about talking my wife into a 30 gal to go in my office, put those buggers in there with a blue lobster for a while. (Ok everybody don't jump at wonce I was just kidding).

Well, you know how women are ( I just opened a can :D ), well she said ok on the tank for the office but then talked me into a 26 gal bow front. (it didn't take much talking), anyway I now have to get it set up, I think this will solve some of my problem. Now to decide who goes into the bow front and which one di I buy more of to make them more confortable. :D

then talked me into a 26 gal bow front. (it didn't take much talking)
That is so cool! You are really feeling the MTS, now! Nothing better than setting up a new tank. You could probably put the two dwarf gouramis in the bowfront - they might be able to stake out separate territories in there and be okay. Come to think of it, maybe the two DG and the serpaes, provided you get a few more serpaes. I have 7 and they stick together. Plus their colors complement each other. Good luck, and keep us posted.

OK thanks, this tank is cool, came with a tetra pf 150 and heater, I was just gonna shelve it but it has a "bio filter" so I figure I'll give it a try, Got 26 gal tank, hood with flour. light, wood stand power head and heater, and of course the "aqua safe" and some kind of balancer. Fixing to put some water in it :twisted: . My gravel deal at big als went bust, 4.99 ain't bad for 22 lbs of rock until they throw almost 10 bux shipping per bag. I went to the lfs and ordered some "walnut" gravel for 15 bux a bag. looks just like what I was trying to do only a lot smaller rocks. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the 26g bow front club! Interestly enough, it was my wife that talked me into my bow front as well :D Did you get a black All-Glass stand by any chance? Let me know, because I have a question about it if you did.

I would keep the two Dwarf Gouramis in seperate tanks if they do not get along. The 26g bow fronts are only 4 inches wider than a 10g, so the Gouramis are not going to have much extra room to each setup a territory. Be aware the Gouramis like having plants go the entire height of the tank if possible.

I would stick the Cherry Barbs and Serpaes in the 26 for now with one Dwarf Gourami if you have plants to make it work. Use some old filter pads or gravel to get the new tank cycled ASAP. Then add fish to get 6 of the Barbs in an equal ratio of males and females.

Or you could put the Rainbows and Mollies in the 26g with some of the smaller fish. Those create a lot of waste, and it would free up a lot in the 55g to get the schools filled out.

Get some paper, figure out what you think you want where, and post the list up here so people give you feedback on it. With a 55g, 26g, and 10g tank, you have tons of possibilities.

I have a question for you bow front people. Do you prefer the bow to the flat shape? I've never had a bow tank and I've seen from pictures that they can distort the way the fish look quite a bit. But it can make fish look larger, no? I'm just curious how you all like the tanks now that you have them.

I very much prefer the overall look of the bow front tank. As long as you are standing roughly in front of it, there is a very minimal ammount of distortion. If anything, it can make fish look a teeny bit bigger.

If you start standing on the side and looking for stuff to complain about, there is more distorion than a regular tank. Then again, who looks at fish while standing at a 60 degree angle to the tank?

justmy2cents, make sure you get a 24+ inch gravel vac if you do not have one already. The way to hood is, you need a long vac to reach into the back corners since you will need to angle it in sideways and then back. The hood opening is small on the sides, so you gotta hold the vac like / or \ instead of |.

Back
Top Bottom