Killer Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
im not sure wut kind of shrimp these are that i bought but they looked pretty cool wit the angel fish in the petstore they have like blue tipped claws can anybody tell me what kind of shrimp these are there also pretty big i think they have been killin my fish i walked into my home today and i say my pleco died and the shrimp eating him up

im not sure wut kind of shrimp these are that i bought but they looked pretty cool wit the angel fish in the petstore they have like blue tipped claws can anybody tell me what kind of shrimp these are there also pretty big i think they have been killin my fish i walked into my home today and i say my pleco died and the shrimp eating him up

When you are saying blue tipped claws, do you mean, the hole shrimp is blue? Cause there are Crayfish that can be blue. You can see what I mean with the link below.

Blue crayfish image by PhotoGal2 on Photobucket

If they are blue crayfish, then yeah they will eat anything that they can get in the claws.

no sir def not cray fish there shrimp for sure they have alittle bit of blue at the tip of the tiny lil claws

Dwarf cray perhaps? Shrimp don't kill, they scavenge. What are your water parameters? It's entirely likely that the pleco died and the "shrimp" was cleaning up. Any chance of a pic?

Check out the Indian whisker shrimp Macrobrachium sp

img_980155_0_e3ae9c4092e9afd07e847ca21badc06f.jpg

that looks like an amano shrimp and they only scavenge for food they do not kill.they will eat algea and any food that falls on the bottom of the tank or on leaves of plants.

ok now i ave to find the cause of the death of my pleco thanx so much

Yep, no claws there... only an opportunist. ;)

How long ago did you purchase the pleco? They often arrive at LFS's super stressed and food deprived. Sometimes when you buy one it is emaciated and at the point of no return, sadly. I'm sure you are doing your best, keep it up. :)

One rule of thumb I use when i buy a pleco is paying close attention to the stomach. If it appears sunken, I generally don't buy it as I believe this is tell tale signs of not being feed enough during move or by pet shop. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom