Killifish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloverdale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you know about these little guys?? I have been looking around and it seems like they are a fairly new species to hit the hobby market, and I am seeing a lot of eggs for sale. Most of the pictures I see of them are colorful and very nice.

So - could the co-habitate with my mollies? Has anyone had luck/no luck with hatching them? Has anyone seen the fish for sale (not just the eggs)? I have been looking on Aquabid and there are lots of eggs for sale - all international.

Whadda think?

Killifish are FAR from new to the hobby. It's just that they are difficult to keep and short lived so they aren't very popular outside of the breeding community. Killifish were among the first fish ever kept in aquaria right behind goldfish and paradise fish. We are talking 1800s here.

The eggs require some special treatment for hatching.

You take the peat and you soak it in warmish water 78-84F and for a few days wait until they hatch. Afterwords you take out the fry and then re-dry the peat and repeat the process 2-3 more times. Killifish eggs (peat spawners) require a 2-6 month period of damp peat conditions before hatching.

Most killifish, there are a few exceptions require very very soft acidic water 5-7pH to live longer than a year or two and to breed.

They are a great fish and don't need large tanks, especially if you keep just 2-3 for breeding. I've kept a few killis in my youth when I got into the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom