Killifish Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlederer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I received a packet of killifish eggs in peat moss but I don't know how to hatch them. I've looked it up but I get vague answers like "leave them in peat moss for 6 months", "wet them and they will hatch immediately", "keep them cool", "keep them warm", etc. Anybody know how to treat killifish eggs in peat?

Completely depends on the species really. I kept Gardneri. For about 18months and bred them religiously.

I would remove eggs from the tank collected via spawn mop and place in a small clear container. From here I would just wait it out removing and clear or fungus eggs. Normally a fertile egg will be tan, amber coloured and won't be clear.

Once the fry hatched I would feed them green water or baby brine shrimp and then move them onto micro worms after a week or so. Your best bet is to set up your live food cultures as you have them in the moss you have time on your side and can get everything set up first before hatching them.

Thanks but you misunderstand. I was sent a packet of eggs in peat moss, I did not spawn the fish. Now what do I do with the packet of eggs and peat moss?

Thanks but you misunderstand. I was sent a packet of eggs in peat moss, I did not spawn the fish. Now what do I do with the packet of eggs and peat moss?

Yes I understand that much was simply offering my knowledge on the topic from experience. To spawn them I would place them in a small container of aged aquarium water but first what species of killi is it? There are annuals and non annuals, some are easy to raise and hatch others are not.

The species is Nothobranchius guentheri. Again, I am not spawning adult fish. I have a packet of eggs in peat moss. How do I treat the packet in order to hatch the eggs?

I know you are not spawning them but generally the process of raising them is the same and when numbers build up it can get overwhelming.

You have annuals meaning they only live for a year.
https://www.killies.com/hatching1.htm

Give this a read. Then read up on breeding them, make sure you've got the tank set up and aged for them, live food cultures and such.

Thanks. I found that information but it is still not clear to me. It says to keep the eggs in a dark and cool place at 29 degrees C. That's not cool, that's warm. So do I wait for six weeks and then check on them and then wet the eggs? Do I immerse the eggs or just wet them?

I'd probably check that out with the seller on how old they are. I would emerse them in a small amount of water as said in the link and increase it after they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom