Killifish with shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no experience with killies but am interested in adding a pair to my red rili tank. My main question is will they eat adult shrimp or not. These are what I have to choose from:

Orange lyretail aphyosemion australe
Aphyosemion striatum
Aphyosemion splendopleure
Australe Gold
F. makurdi

Thanks for any input!

I have no experience with killies but am interested in adding a pair to my red rili tank. My main question is will they eat adult shrimp or not. These are what I have to choose from:

Orange lyretail aphyosemion australe
Aphyosemion striatum
Aphyosemion splendopleure
Australe Gold
F. makurdi

Thanks for any input!

What size tank is this?

Well they're out...for future reference what would you say for minimum size tank? And would they eat adult shrimp?

Just trying to find something to add to this tank :rolleyes:

Well they're out...for future reference what would you say for minimum size tank? And would they eat adult shrimp?

Just trying to find something to add to this tank :rolleyes:

The garnderi (Makurdi) will definitely eat adult shrimp. They are large and aggressive. Probably a 30g tank for them.

As for the aphyosemions, a 2f 1m trio could probably fit in a 10g although larger would be better. Whether or not they will eat shrimp, I can't say. I never saw my australes eat shrimp and I would be a bit surprised if they could fit a full adult in their mouth. Juveniles would be fair game to them though.

The garnderi (Makurdi) will definitely eat adult shrimp. They are large and aggressive. Probably a 30g tank for them.

As for the aphyosemions, a 2f 1m trio could probably fit in a 10g although larger would be better. Whether or not they will eat shrimp, I can't say. I never saw my australes eat shrimp and I would be a bit surprised if they could fit a full adult in their mouth. Juveniles would be fair game to them though.

Thanks so much for the info. Any thoughts about something to put in a 5g with the shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom