killis and sword tails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
helloooo im new here and this is my first post so dont be too brutal on me haha.

ok so i have a 10 gal tank and i started with 4 fish which are..
2- Golden Wonders
1- rainbow shark
1- pleco

they seemed to get along ok. the shark is a crack head and swims all over the place and gets in every ones face but never nips or bothers them to much. Any way. so i bought 2 Pineapple sword tails (1 male, 1 female) and added them to the tank.

they all seemed to get along ok at first but now they seem to be acting funky. the killi are always at the top of the tank now and or in the plants i have, they use to swim all over the place.

I have never seen the swords mess with the killis though. are they just marking territory? are the killis scared? am i just over analyzing?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 91
The killifish aren't scared. I breed and take care of these guys.these guys generally stay at the top of the tank. They have special air bladders that allow them to stay afloat at the top. Do you have a male and a female killi? If so the reason there in the plants may be because they are spawning. It doesn't take much for them to breed. Look for small clear circles attached to the plants or decor. Hope this helps

Welcome to AA

I think that for a 10G tank, the Pletco and the shark will need a bigger tank really soon.

Today maybe they are small, but they will grow fast and won't be happy in a small tank are yours.

Welcome to AA!

My killis go to the top a lot, but not much. Maybe they are settling in to the new tank mates.

I would recommend getting rid of the rainbow shark and pleco. Depending on your pleco (Even the dwarf variety), would outgrow your tank. The rainbow shark needs at least a 55 gallon and can become very aggressive and territorial if not.

You might want to add a 2 female swordtail. Why I say this is because the male is probably soon going to harass that single female; With 2, that aggression will be spread out.

woooo

thanks for the welcome and advise every one :)

owl, yes i do have a male and female of the killis. I cant tell if there are any spawn i just looked around my tank for 10 min. and didnt see any, i do have a alot of plants in my tank though so they could be any where ( You cant really tell by the pic i have on here but my one plant covers most of the top of the tank, it looks like a rainforest canopy.) I actually even had a hard time finding my female killi. she is hiding behind my filter. She seems to be hindding from the others. Looking pretty big but no black spot in her belly. should i seperate her from the rest just in case? do you know the signs of a pregnant one?

ejara, yeahhh im pretty sure im going to get rid of the shark and plec. but on the other hand i am buying a new tank next week so who knows. im sorta trying to breed the killis and swords and the shark is prob. not a good guy to have around when all that happens.

tyspot, im forsure getting a larger tank next week. The male sword is bullying the crap out of the female so im going to go out and buy another female asap. i lovvveee the swords btw very pretty and active fish

If you have a male and a female there is possibly eggs. You may never see fry though. The swortails may eat them and even the parent killifish too.I dont think she would have a black spot but a pink one. I have never seen black. Male killies are usually always ready to breed its the females that have to fatten up. Two males will fight each other. If you only have one female to each male or to all of them she will be getting beaten up. It is best to have at least two females to one male. There are no sighns of a pregnate fish because they lay eggs. I could try to capture a video of a spawn if you would like. It may take a while though.

Back
Top Bottom