Kissing Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know aq advisor is sometimes conservative so I am going to look for some confirmation here. I am looking to upgrade from 16 to 29 gallon. My wife has always wanted a Kissing Goyrami. aq adivsor is telling me that fish wil get to 11" and 29 gallons would then of course be to small. Really?11"? I am aware of at least two occasions these fish were kept in 10 gallons for years. Maybe not the right thing to do, but that info makes be question 30 gallons not being enough.

It also said that the gourami will eat my Platies and Guppies. Again I have seen these fish in community aquariums before, and again maybe they shouldn't have been there, but they weren't eating there tank mates. The fish at the store aren't big enough to eat my other fish, but if they get that big....

Just trying to reconcile what I have seen with the info I am starting to gather. How have other kept these fish and kept them happy/healty?

I have seen a pair that were each 9 inches in length but it is true they can grow to this length. I wouldn't advise having them in this tank as I take it your wife likes the idea of them because of the kissing motion they perform, which means you will have a minimum of 2. The tank would be far to small for a full grown fish. You could house them in this tank until IMO about 7 inches but then I would be planning a 5 foot tank. Also if you are planning on have other different kinds of fish in the tank the bio load will be sky high. All I can recommend is to get a larger tank from the beginning if this is the case.

Aquavisor is correct. The pearl gourami can get up to a foot long (12 inches) and need at least a 55 gallon. 10 gallons is way to small and it could possibly stunt its growth.

A pearl gourami is a better choice for a 30 gallon aquarium or a Dwarf gourami.

Back
Top Bottom