Knife Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

<3

Lol so that makes it ok to give a awful suggestion or advise? Because you "jumped in late" and didn't read the thread?

Way to contribute kid.

Because first off nothing in my response was rude or angry. I simply stated that a clown knife is a monster fish in its own right. They need massive tanks. Far greater then a 46g.

But what do I know... I'm just a A-hole right? :/

Good talk...

The sheer suggestion of a clown loach was just ludicrous and you were far from disrespectful so wouldn't stress.

Vanimal unfortunately the OP does have a history of posting threads in the search of answers he wants, the possibility of both these fish in his tanks has already been discussed and basically all statements of 'No' were ignored on the premise one poster said yes.

As for you Loading...if you are going to go down this path firstly get a Brown Knife, they stay much small than the BGK.

Secondly you'll need to maintain good water quality as your knifefish are very sensitive to water conditions, especially young.

Filtration isn't a huge issue as long as your tank has sufficient bioload to cover the knife, I wouldn't have more than maybe a bottom feeder in the tank as well however. A canister filter is recommended.

I've heard some knives accept pellets when they're older or even flakes but my ghostknife was a massive fan of blood worms and would happily be hand fed which was a great experience.

Also finally don't be concerned if you see your knife sitting perfectly still, vertical or horizontal it's how they sleep.

In short if you absolutely must get a knifefish get a brown.

Don't have anymore than maybe a bristlenose pleco in the tank.

Don't miss water changes.

Slowly acclimatize your fish to being hand fed as it's a great experience.

Lol so that makes it ok to give a awful suggestion or advise? Because you "jumped in late" and didn't read the thread?

Way to contribute kid.

Because first off nothing in my response was rude or angry. I simply stated that a clown knife is a monster fish in its own right. They need massive tanks. Far greater then a 46g.

But what do I know... I'm just a A-hole right? :/

Good talk...

The first part of it was ok and i agree with you but was it really necessary to say there was no sense in even suggesting it? Even if it wasn't the best advice he still had good intentions. It's people like you that cause people to leave this site...

people on here are not in my experience A-holes or hating as you call it. The advice given is generally from years of fish keeping and trial/error. The knife fish question has been answered on multiple threads, including minimum tank size, food, and habits. Filtration is a matter of personal preference as long as it is adequate for the tank size and fish kept. We've all made mistakes and will continue to make them. But asking the question over and over again gets old. That's all I was saying with my prior post.
Calling people A-holes, saying they are haters, and the reason people leave this forum is inflammatory.

<3

if you are going to go down this path firstly get a Brown Knife, they stay much small than the BGK.

Secondly you'll need to maintain good water quality as your knifefish are very sensitive to water conditions, especially young.

Filtration isn't a huge issue as long as your tank has sufficient bioload to cover the knife, I wouldn't have more than maybe a bottom feeder in the tank as well however. A canister filter is recommended.

I've heard some knives accept pellets when they're older or even flakes but my ghostknife was a massive fan of blood worms and would happily be hand fed which was a great experience.

Also finally don't be concerned if you see your knife sitting perfectly still, vertical or horizontal it's how they sleep.

In short if you absolutely must get a knifefish get a brown.

Don't have anymore than maybe a bristlenose pleco in the tank.

Don't miss water changes.

Slowly acclimatize your fish to being hand fed as it's a great experience.

+1 to this.

I believe if memory serves that Vanimal has a BGK... but i know he also upgraded to a 220G

Yep had a 125 which would've lasted a while and maybe for life but I wanted a bigger tank it cost about $600 with everything.

Vanimal, what kinda knife fish do you have?

I have a semi aggressive tank.
1 Red Belly Pacu
2 ID Sharks
1 Fire Eel
1 Eclipse Catfish
3 Blood Parrots
2 Angel Fish
2 Rainbow Fish
1 Rainbow Shark
1 BGK
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Senegal Bichir

I think my wife would shoot me if I got a big tank, the 55 was a stretch for her.

I think my wife would shoot me if I got a big tank, the 55 was a stretch for her.

i have a feeling there will come a day when you attempt the conversation about the bigger tank... have faith in your "addiction" lol

Great sig quote by the way, made me laugh "Fish are like babies, if it fits in his mouth, he's going to eat it. " one of the funny quotes i've seen on this site

Back
Top Bottom