Knight goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What all is there to know about knight gobies? I know they're brackish and territorial amongst their species other than that I know knitting about them. I'd like to add one to my 55g with my bumblebee gobies mollies guppies and baby dragon goby. And after we move in about 2 or 3 months I'll move all of them to a 120g im looking at getting

Keep calm and drum on

Ive kept several of these in the past and always in freshwater as my research found that actually prefer that over brackish.

They do tend to be territorial, so be sure to provide for that, but with the larger aquarium, it shouldnt be too big an issue.

Last edited:
Ive kept several of these in the past and always in freshwater as my research found that actually prefer that over brackish.

They do tend to be territorial, so be sure to provide for that, but with the larger aquarium, it shouldnt be too big an issue.

So their freshwater fish? I've always read they where brackish. Or do they live in both?

Keep calm and drum on

I'd be afraid of a knight goby attacking a molly or guppy that got too near. I've heard some horror stories about gobies.

If it'd be an issue with the mollies wouldn't it also be an issue with the bumblebees seeing as they are much smaller? I could see an aggression issue with the mollies but they're fully grown and pretty large around 5 and a half inches or so. They should be fine from the goby at that large shouldn't they?

Keep calm and drum on

I'd be afraid of a knight goby attacking a molly or guppy that got too near. I've heard some horror stories about gobies.

If it'd be an issue with the mollies wouldn't it also be an issue with the bumblebees seeing as they are much smaller? I could see an aggression issue with the mollies but they're fully grown and pretty large around 5 and a half inches or so. They should be fine from the goby at that large shouldn't they?

Keep calm and drum on

I never saw any real aggression issues myself and they were always in a community tank, but as i said it was a 75 gal. so they had plenty of room to stake out their little territory. I tend to do most things that folks advise me against based on book knowledge, i do and have done things my own way for over 30 years in the hobby, not always right, but if i had an issue i learned how to deal with it as long as it didnt harm the fishes.

I never saw any real aggression issues myself and they were always in a community tank, but as i said it was a 75 gal. so they had plenty of room to stake out their little territory. I tend to do most things that folks advise me against based on book knowledge, i do and have done things my own way for over 30 years in the hobby, not always right, but if i had an issue i learned how to deal with it as long as it didnt harm the fishes.

Territory shouldn't be much of an issue. For some reason all of the free swimming fish have staked their claim to the left side of the tank and rarely venture to the right side. Only reasoning for this that I could think of is the right is by an outer wall

Keep calm and drum on

Yes, if the mollies are full grown, I don't see how the gobies would bother them. But remember that gobies DO have teeth. I'd be a little nervous about the guppies though. Guppies can be a little dense, and might get too close, or bug the gobies, and then there might be trouble. In a 55 gal. though, the fish have plenty of room for swimming and territories, so I'd be less concerned than if, for instance, you had them in a 20 gallon or something. The smaller the tank, the more likely the aggression is to come out.

From the reading I have done most brackish fish can *survive* freshwater for years. The difference is the older the fish gets, the harder it becomes on the fish. It makes them more prone to disease and can lead to premature deaths that if the fish were given brackish could have been avoided. It's been studied with various brackish species such as Monodactylus Sabae and Gymnothorax Tile. Both species are commonly sold in freshwater.

I would recommend doing a brackish setup for them. And if you got a pair in brackish conditions maybe you will see spawning?? The eggs cannot survive freshwater if I remember correctly.

Caleb

From the reading I have done most brackish fish can *survive* freshwater for years. The difference is the older the fish gets, the harder it becomes on the fish. It makes them more prone to disease and can lead to premature deaths that if the fish were given brackish could have been avoided. It's been studied with various brackish species such as Monodactylus Sabae and Gymnothorax Tile. Both species are commonly sold in freshwater.

I would recommend doing a brackish setup for them. And if you got a pair in brackish conditions maybe you will see spawning?? The eggs cannot survive freshwater if I remember correctly.

Caleb
sorry forgot to mention the tank is brackish my b

They can live in brackish or fresh. I keep my pair in fresh. They are pretty peaceful unless there are fish that can fit in their mouth. Males usually dig a burrow and defend the burrow site. Rainbowfish make great companions. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457365763.802423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's the difference between the males and females? Is it the dorsal fin? Mine has one that goes up a little and flattens at the tip of the blue stripe but I've seen pics where they can come to a point as well

Keep calm and rock on

Back
Top Bottom