Knight Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melody

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im looking at a few knight Gobys in my petstore. They are so cute and I would love a few, but Im not sure I can get one with my tanks... I did a search on Live Aquaria, but didnt come up with anything. Anyone know anything about these little fishes?? Im going to do some more searches...

Melody, I believe these fish are brackish. You could try googling the scientific name. Stigtmatogobius sadanundio. Liveaquaria has them listed as Fan Dance Gobies. Neat little fish.

ahhh Thanks!!! I have been looking all over and couldnt find anything. I asked the guy if they were brackish. He said they like a little salt, but that these had been doing fine for over a month with none. That was my first red flag... I will look up the scientific name... Thanks Cindy!!!

I have a knight goby in my 16 gallon brackish guppy tank. It's a low brackish - .005. He is gorgeous, but very shy. He definitly needs hiding place(s). Preferably a sand substrate because they love digging. His diet consists of sinking meat pellets and baby guppies. I love him!!

I know that everything in my tank can handel a little salt, except the peacock eel... anyone know if they can take any salt? He seems to be mighty hardy. He lived in my filter for a few weeks!
If thats the case, I wouldnt mind dosing my tank every once an a while with salt. I just dont have a sand substrate, although I was considering putting a section in for my eel. I have lots of hidy holes & plants, and I could always add a few more. I do need more lower level activity. The only thing I have is the alge eater. and hes getting ready to go to another tank soon.

A little salt does not =BW. It takes a cup of marine salt/5 gal to raise the SG to 1.005 (rough estimate). You eel will not appreciate salt & most FW fish prefer no salt at all too.

I could be wrong (probably am) but from what I understand most all FW fish will be fine in a SLIGHT BW.
I was under the impression that fish that are FW/BW will do fine in either mixture, and anything in between.
My fish guy told me that he would do fine in the FW, BUT... Any type of injury (brushing up against a tank decoration) that would scratch his slime coat and he would chance an infection.
Im still thinking about it. I need to do more research.

You are definately under the wrong impression about that. Keeping a fish in conditions not natural to it, will cause lowered immune systems, diseases & early death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are definately under the wrong impression about that. Keeping a fish in conditions not natural to it, will cause lowered immune systems, diseases & early death.

PufferPunk Is Exactly right. 100%.

I bought one of these a long time ago for a 29 gallon fresh water.

It did great with no salt. Very active and it lived for years. I am sure it would have been happier in brackish water though.

Back
Top Bottom