Koi can be kept in aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some one gave my lfs owner a 2 foot koi that was housed in a 100gal tank i have no idea how it got that big in a 100gal tank but this thing is huge about 6 inched round, so if they can do it in a 100gal you could in a 180gal, IMO its not worth it , you will probably have too do daily water changes.

I guess the pix didn't show up on this page, but I believe they are in my gallery.

Roger...honest, there was some mistake by the walmart kids last april, when I got these fish. I have posted their pix on a few forums (since I was clueless a few months ago) and got some pretty firm confirmation that my feeders are actually koi....

Lucky me, I think, but now I have to do major pond renovations, since I don't want to give these guys up...

Actually, I think they may be goldfish, not Koi. They looks like Sarasa Comets. Absolutely lovely!

There is a couple differences so far as I know between Koi and goldies. Besides being different species of carp (goldies are mutated crucian carp, Koi are Cyprinus carpio), Koi have downward facing mouths (being bottom feeders) while goldies have upwards turned mouths (more top feeder); However, Koi also have barbels which I see on your guys. Whatever they are, they are some awesomely healthy buggers; nice job!

Squeesan said:
Roger...honest, there was some mistake by the walmart kids last april, when I got these fish. quote]

same sort of thing happened too me when i asked for feeders at an petcetra the one kid told the other that there are none left in the feeder tank but theres gold fish in the koi tank( what idiots), they where spared and ended up in my grandparents pond.

The second one looks to have a downturned mouth to me...? I think he looks like a koi but the first one doesn't. Again, that's just dumb ol' me.

Hello :)

I actually have a shubunkin that looks very much like the second fish that is more white. He is about 6 inches long and we got him when he was really small. The store gave him to my kids for free so it took me forever to figure out what he really was. I also have a plain goldfish that has ( from what I can tell in the picture). Anyhow my kids just love them because they have such a personality. My daughter loves to put her finger in and they come up and rub up against it or nible on it.

Stacie

My dad has three huge koi in a pond right outside my door (I live in the basement apartment of his house). And these fish he's had for years. I think they got them around 1996/1997. They are so huge, that one of them...his tail is almost always half out of the water.

When he first built the ponds (one on either side of the door the other houses large goldfish) they were small - babies. I would bet the size of this pond is around the size of a 100 gal tank. Couldn't be much bigger. Though dad is out front now digging what we call...the moat. I think it's about 25 feet long and about 6 feet wide rectangular (but I dated a lot of guys who lied so my size estimates could be off). That will be the new home out front for the koi once he gets it done. The poor guys. :( Outgrew their home.

I'll get some pics of it tomorrow and post them...then take a pic of the moat!

The moat

Fish_0178.JPG

The moat again

Fish_0179.JPG

The goldfish on one side of my door

Fish_0181.JPG

The koi on the other side of my door

Fish_0182.JPG

Fish_0183.JPG

Wow! 8O Look at those koi! They look great! And, they are sure going to appreciate that big pond your dad is building... Are you going to get more goldfish for that small koi pond once the "moat" is ready? Or is the going to be the koi grow-out "tank"?

Beautiful fish!

And for the record, we have never had any kind of filters or anything with these fish. They just have the waterfall to aerate the water, and my dad adds more fresh water from our creek (he has a dam and a fire hose running up from the dam) when the water gets low from evaporation and what have you.

Yes, we will likely just continue to add goldfish and koi to both sides moving them to the 'moat' once they get too big. :) They will be so happy to have more room to swim, I know. And Dad just bought a net to go over the moat today to keep those nasty leaves out!

I have have a shubunkin in my 135g and he seems pretty happy he will swim figure eights all day or search the bottom for left overs. although I think he would like a bigger tank/pond so I'll be sending him back to the pet store before too long. and he can take the comet with him (I'm not a gold fish fan just needed something for the cycle) :roll:

Back
Top Bottom