Koi carp & tank set up from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can you please tell me all the things i will need to buy to go with my tank
it is 4ftx18inx20in it's a cabinet with hood the light is optional i can buy it or not and i do not know if i need it or what to get fluorescent or clear bulb :?: also i will be buying 8 koi carp 5x3in & 3x4in i know that they will grow and i will buy more tanks or get hubby to build a pond.

I guess what i am asking is can anyone make me a list of exactly what i will need i was thinking of getting a few things but have no idea what i need also is this tank 75 gallon = 280L . The things i was going to buy are

Filter - 1200/ph is this to much or not enouph

Air pump - do i need a under gravel filter to go with this or do u use the air pump on it's own i heard that it is good to use like back up if the other filter dies.

Air line - maybe go in air pump and then where

Booster - i think this may be conditioner

water ager - this maybe to get rid of chlorine

fresh water salt - :?:

Ph test kit

Ammonia test kit

and what else would i need to have healthy, big, happy Koi
also how long do leave the tank working before i can put koi in it
TO MANY QUESTIONS :?:

UGF is not necessary. I'm not sure what booster or ager are, but you will need something to take the chlorine out of your tap water. I am also not too sure about filtration, but I think with carps you will need a lot. I know that koi like some salt in their water, but I'm not really sure on the specifics. I also noticed that you don't have a heater.

How do you plan on cycling the tank?

I did'nt think that i needed a heater i was told they are cold water fish now you have me worried 8O

If you really want Koi, start making plans for the pond now. Buying more tanks is not much of an option unless you are looking at something 500g+ :p

How about a 100g stock tank(farm stores) They can sit in your basement and all you'll need is a pump & Trickle Tower to get by till the pond is done.
My hubby wanted to put our 5 imported Kohaku;s in the 125g for better viewing.
Mind you, this is from experience.
My koi "jumped" hitting their heads on the hood. One took a huge piece of skin out of it's head. The sudden movement of people walking by startled them and thats when they would jump.
This could be an isolated insodent, I don't mean to sound like a prude, but Koi are NOT recommended for an aquarium.
A stock tank would be a much better choice.
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to email me.
I'd love to help anyway I can.

According to the DIY tank instructions at Garf.org, your tank is:

Material = Glass
Tank Height = 18"
Tank Width = 20"
Tank Length = 48 "
Glass Thickness = 1/4"
Approximate Gallons = 75

1200 GPH is probably more than enough filtration for that tank, but the tank itself isn't big enough for big, healthy Koi.

Good luck!

Pondmom, what does a stock tank look like? Is that like what you'd use for cattle water?

And I've heard the same thing about keeping koi in tanks. You probably ought to cover the sides of the tank so they can't see out...

Back
Top Bottom