Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Koi Fish and Betta Fish Issues

First things first, yes I bought Mr.Periwinkle from Walmart.

Ok. Are Koi fish aggressive fish that attack their own reflections? When I bought him he was with other fish. I'm taking video of it, but he's not doing it right now, but usually he'll see himself and just go berserk and slam his face into the wall.

He hides by the filter and just stares for a while then he'll start doing it again. I'm trying to get video to show you, but he's not doing it right now. This worries me.

Then I have my betta, Murasaki (Mura), who is my little prince but since I moved him into a bigger bowl he keeps flaring his fins which is a sign of aggression. I'm worried he's getting stressed out and why he's flarying since this new bowl I have him in is circular and doesn't reflect his face or anything. In his little bowl that I got him in (like a little cup thing.) he kept making bubble nests and I was hoping he was getting ready to breed, but I haven't gotten him a mate yet.

Does anyone have any solution for this poor college student?

I'm very worried about them. A speedy response to make me feel better would be so nice.

UPDATE:
Mr. Periwinkle is in a square tank.
Murasaki is in a round bowl tank.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how big of a tank is ur koi in? O.o and ur betta needs a 5+gallon tank w/ filter and heater, but anyways, he is prob just stressed and getting used to his new home

Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think is tank is about 1.5-2 gallons and Mr. Perry's tank is the same.

Perry has a filter, but Mura doesn't.... -head desk- What temp does a betta's tank have to be at? I've never had to get one for them before that's why I'm asking, my betta's have always lived a long time even without the filter and the heater because I clean their tanks frequently but I wanna go by the books this time cause I want to breed him.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!

Unfortunately koi fish get WAY too big for that size tank. At best if you wanted to keep a koi in a fish tank I'd suggest a 150 gallon tank...
Goldfish - A PSA
Bettas should be around 75-80 degrees F.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I don't think he's a koi fish, but I think he's a type of gold fish but they labeled him Koi. No offense to walmart, but they're kind of retarded at the pet thing.... I ripped walmart a new one for the conditions of the betta fish.

I want to know if he's aggressive though and how I can make his home better, both of them... I don't want them to both be so stressed... And should I just give in and take Perry back to walmart where he'll probably die....
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

OH And thanks for the welcome, I've always loved fish but I'm just now getting back into them.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could always try donating him to a local pond

Also, I'm not sure if you're new to this or if you're an expert, but regardless: did you cycle your tank?
IF not, please read these two articles!
1.The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
2.I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

-stares- Dear god...

-cries a little- Do I have to do that...

And I don't think we have a local pond... I'm from a small-ish college town in Michigan and it's just about winter... I don't want him to die...

Tags
betta, betta fish, bowl, fish, koi, square

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com