Kordon Amquel Plus.. or Prime maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone use this, if so for what reason? I am thinking of getting it if it will allow me to skip a PWC once in awhile since it lowers nitrate, would that be ok? Is there a better product for doing this?

I don't like the idea of skipping water changes, because there is more than just nitrate in there that needs to be cleaned out. Debris accumulates and you get increased DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that will cause algae and other issues in the tank. Once you skip some water changes and gravel vac's then the debris starts to rot on the bottom and it can easily get out of hand.

This is totally my own personal philosophy when it comes to keeping my tanks, but it has served me well over the years, and I am convinced that problems I have had in my tanks were directly related to a lapse in my maintenance routine.

That's all the lecture for now and I'll leave others to chime in about their success or otherwise with this product. :)

Do you use a python? With multiple or large tanks it's the only way to go. I did water changes the hard way till I suffered a hernia and had to have surgery. I could not lift anything for 2 months so I bought a python. I kick myself for not getting one a lot sooner. :D

Hm, well my tap water has nitrate and I have a difficult time keeping the nitrate down even with large weekly PWC's. Do you think it would help if I just put it in the new water going in (along with aquasafe) when I do the PWC's?
Oh, and I do gravel vacs each time.
Are my tanks overstocked and this is another reason why the nitrates go up fast?
I know I'm going to definitely get rid of at least 2 of the common plecs.

I use it because my tap water has nitrite and nitrate in it. I've had really good results with it so far. And if you have to miss a water change (hey it happens), its better to use some amquel than to just leave it and let it build up imo. I like to use it in my flowerhorn and goldfish tanks, becasue theyre messy fish and its hard to keep nitrates down enough without it being in my water to begin with.

If your source water has nitrate then it is a great way to neutralize that, and I'd probably do the same. Also, I would consider a whole house filter or something because I don't like the idea of that being in my drinking water.

Aside from water change water, filters are a big nitrate producer, so if you tend to put off filter maintenance that might be contributing quite a bit. It is a particular pain with canister filters but worth the trouble to replace the floss in them weekly with a rinse of solid debris from the rigid media at the same time. Rinse out filter cartridges in HOB models weekly, and see if that helps.

Of course, as you suspect, overstocking will make it very hard, and plecos can really jack up the waste quotient, though I don't see why you could not keep one for a while if you like them. They are very cool fish if you have room for them, and you ought to be able to keep one in a 75 for quite a while. Two is definitely pushing it.

Thanks guys.. and gals! :) Hm, I just saw in another thread about the product Prime. I looked it up and it's a declorinator/slime coat provider/nitrite and nitrate detoxifier, so I could just use this instead, huh? Sounds better on getting one bottle than two (even though I already have aquasafe, for now).

You sure Prime (or Amquel plus) detoxify nitrates? FAIK, it will detoxify ammonia & nitrITEs (& chlorine & chloramines) .... That's what it says on my bottle.

Nitrates are not that toxic except in very high levels (& fish will tolerate high levels like 200+ if slowly acclimatized) ... so detoxifier really is not needed.

If you have high nitrates in your water, you might consider adding a lot of fast growing stem plants. They'll suck up the nitrates & decrease your water change frequency. However, you still will need some PWC to remove other toxins & to replenish your buffers.

I have often read that it is wise to be skepticle of any claim that nitrates are "removed" by any water conditioners. Ammonia and nitrite can be altered to be less toxic, but are not removed. But nitrates? I dunno.

I think prime and amquel plus are really the same thing, just different manufacturers. and my experience with amquel is that it does lower nitrates by about 10-20ppm .

Nitrate at a little over 40ppm is not harmful to your fish, so I would not go to any extreme measures over it. Fish can tolerate quite a bit higher levels, and often do in those old tanks where people swear they have "never done a water change in 7 years" etc.

There are certain sensitive species that don't do as well but with your stock you should be just fine.

If you are doing your water changes and keeping debris under control, and the nitrate is pretty steady, then I would personally enjoy the tank and not worry about it - but that is not a popular opinion, just my own. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom