Kribensis compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patsfan391

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 10g aquarium with serpae tetras, a dwarf gourami, cory catfish, and a bumblebee catfish. I was going to get some ram cichlids or apistos but my lfs doesn't have any in stock but they do have kribensis cichlids and I heard they are peaceful but I want to make sure before I go and buy one. Does anyone have any advice before I go and buy one? Thanks.

The serpae tetras are only in there temporarily until they get big enough to go in my larger aquarium. They are only half an inch. But I was more looking for an answer on how compatible a kribensis is with the current fish.

If you are considering putting a krib into the 10g, I vote don't. They get too big to be comfortable in there. Kribs are territorial, and they might not like sharing that small of a space with other bottom dwellers.
In a larger space, I think you would be ok. I have recently gotten a krib. he mostly just likes to hangout in his cave and not care about other fish, unless they enter his cave. Catfish also like caves. That is where problems can arise in too small of a space.

Personally I wouldn't put an apisto or ram in a 10g long term. Especially not in a community. Space is an issue, especially when they are sharing turf with cories.

I agree, I dont think a ram would fair well with the dwarf gourami either. Your pretty much stocked.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Go for it I know bash me but seriously if its that big of a deal take them back if they "get to big". I had kribs once they were a pair awesome behavior when in pairs. I found that the male treats his female like a ho sometimes and beats her. But if they breed in a 10 oh you better get ready for world war 3 if a fish is even in that tank I wouldn't wanna see the violence that would occur during that ordeal! Make sure you get caves. Beautiful fish! Males have noticeably longer fins I compare it to a thin flag and females are shorter. At my awesome lfs that I am so lucky to have they have breeding kribs almost every time you go and it's sad though because they are in tiny tanks because they can't get them a big one an when they breed they beat the living crap out of the other 3 or so pairs that are in the tiny tank with them):

Kribs for the most part are only really aggressive when breeding but I think they could harass or kill your gourami. They also would quickly out grow a 10 gallon tank

I had two of these in my community tank, male and female, there was no issues with any other fish, they did take a liking to my guppy fry which I'm not to fussed about, their great fish, and nice colour, my male died a little while ago so I've just got a female and she's still not a problem

The serpae tetras are only in there temporarily until they get big enough to go in my larger aquarium. They are only half an inch. But I was more looking for an answer on how compatible a kribensis is with the current fish.
Based on recommendation of knowledgable guy at Petland, just bought one female yesterday for my 29 gallon. She's small - about 1.5 inches. Gets along well with other fish including Rainbow shark & Dwarf Gouramis.

But yes, I agree not in a ten gallon ....... but I notice you have a "larger" tank. Here is what liveaquaria sasys:

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Kribensis Cichlid

Back
Top Bottom