Kribensis in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecp6949

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would really like to add 1 or 2 kribensis to my 29gallon community tank. at the moment i have: 9 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 redtailed shark and 1 plecko. I am also planning to add in the next 2 months: 2rams, 2guppies and 1clown loach. i would like to know how the kribensis would do with my other fishes? would it be better to add a pair of kribensis or 1male or 1female? my tank is heavily planted in 1 third of my aquarium with some wood and a lot of rocks and some hiding places. thanks :) i dont want to disrupt the peace in my aquarium

Some incompatibility issues to note.

1. Clown loaches, which should be kept in groups of 3 or more, get way too big for a 29g, even if you only keep one.

2. The pleco, if it's a common pleco, which can exceed 20" by the way, will get too big as well. I've seen them kept in 120g with not enough algae to sustain them. Even as a juvenile they can foul the water in a 29g in a big hurry.

3. The red-tailed shark may become a bully, eventually. I wouldn't put one in anything less than a 55g.

4. Unless they are a pair, the more aggressive gourami will make life unbearable for the less aggressive one. You'll be better off adding one more gourami to spread the aggression, if it comes to that.

5. Rams and kribs—no-go. They inhabit the same lower levels of the tank and will not share it with each other, guaranteed, especially in a 29g. Choose between the rams and the kribs, but not both, and even then make sure you get one of each sex. I would stick with the rams as the kribs would do better with a larger footprint. By the way, rams do best in warm water, some of your other choices do not.

Neons, gouramis and guppies should do fine together.

David

thank you for your reply David! :)
1.i think ill pass for the clown loach then
2.the pleco was given to me with the fish tank, he is about 4" now, but I dont know how big he's going to get? he doesn't seem too big for the tank, for now.
3.the redtailed shark isnt agressive at all and doesnt bother anyone, i was told 1 shark per aquarium was fine and when i was younger my shark was very peaceful with the other fishes as well
4. my gouramis will chase each other once in a while(i believe they are both males) when one of them goes in the other ones territory but they dont hurt each other. would it help to buy a male or female?
5. Thanks for the tip, I will have to choose between the two of them. My heater is set at 26'(79F). what are the fishes I listed that dont do well at that temperature?
Any further recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Can you post a picture of the pleco?

If your gouramis are both brightly colored, they are males. The females are drab in color, sort of silvery with faint colors. They're not commonly found for two main reasons: 1. they don't sell like the males because of their color, or lack thereof, and 2. breeders like to keep them so they can breed them to death.

If you have two male gouramis and you add a female, one of the males will most likely have to go. However, adding another male, for a total of three, will probably work as they'll spread the aggression around and no one gourami will get the brunt of war. Dwarf gouramis aren't as hardy as they used to be 20 years ago; they seem to kick the bucket rather easily these days. They are also very susceptible to a virus where they are bred in the far east. I can't recall the name at the moment.

A temperature of 79° works fine for most fishes, especially captive-bred species. Wild-caught, however, that's a different story. Exacting temps for most fish are not normally required, unless you're trying to breed a wild-caught fish, and even then there's some wiggle room. Most captive bred fishes these days are generations away from their ancestral waters so they've adapted accordingly.

Neons do best in 73° to 77°. Another fish that looks very similar, the cardinal tetra, will do better in 77° to 83°. Rams and cardinals compliment each other very well. Have you noticed how many ram/cardinal pictures are floating (pun intended) around? A lot. That's because they both thrive in the same kind of water: warm water. Rams have even been collected in water as warm as 88°! There are no overhanging trees to block the sun where they are found. Discus' will also do well in warm water, but they're not for a 29g.

Some cold water fish for a 29g: white clouds, bloodfins, pearl Danios, peppered cories, zebra Danios, paradise fish, Florida flagfish, mosquito fish, guppies, platies, goldfish, ets...

Warm water fish for a 29g: bettas, angelfish (just 1), C. sterbai, cardinals, chocolate gouramis, hatchetfish, gold nugget pleco, etc. The clown loach you were thinking about also does very well in warm water, but they're not good for a 29g, unfortunately.

The aforementioned list is in no way exhaustive; it's just what came to mind as I typed. As I said earlier, though, most fish will do well in your set temperature, even the fish I've differentiated. Doing well and thriving are two different conditions, though. ;-)

All that said, please keep in mind that there are no absolutes to anything I've written, as fish don't read what they're supposed to be like. Every now and then I get shocked when I read a report about a fish doing something they've never been known to do. We know not nearly enough about them...

David

From my experience, it is best to keep only 1 species of gourami. Whenever I would get two of 1 species, there would be lots of chasing and eventual death. I had two dwarfs in a 65, and they didn't get along. Definitely no krib, no clown loach, or no common Pleco.

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful information! I am actually thinking about getting a 50+gallon aquarium now. I'm getting nervous that the gouramis may start fighting and that the shark may become more aggressive as they grow up in a small tank. Also, i'm pretty sure my pleco is a common pleco, therefore he will need more room as he gets bigger as David mentionned. I am very attached to my fishes and don't want to get rid of any of them... What would be a good size aquarium for them? and with this size tank, how many fishes of each(specify male/female if important) would be best: angelfsh, kribensis, ram, guppies, clown loach, angelicus botia loach, guppies, boesemani rainbows or any other suggestoins of fish. Thanks :)

Kirbs would be dicey with angels. Clown loaches should be kept in a group of 3 or more, so for that you need 125g. I would stay away from the Pleco, they get huge and are pooping machines and deteriorate tank water quickly. Also, I would not keep angle with guppies. Guppies are tiny and don't school for safety, the angel might pick them off as they grow. I would go with angels, rams, tetras, and botias, in a 55g. But if you only have the 29g then work with what you have. Get the Pleco a new home, and get a BN Pleco, they stay small and would work for a 29g. So you would have 9 tetras, two dwarf gourami, and a redtail, and then add an angel. See how that goes.

here is some update: i just got myself a 4foot long 55g :D hopefully my fishes will love it! so excited to start setting it up :) and I will be getting myself a pair of german blue rams when the new tank is ready to welcome them home :)

I will be getting myself a pair of german blue rams when the new tank is ready to welcome them home :)
I would wait until the tank has matured for a few months before adding the rams. They do not like new tanks!

David

Back
Top Bottom