Kribs pair in lfs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at my lfs Today and ther was a pair of kribensis in one of the tanks...with fry!!! It was really cool to watch them closely guard the fry. The fry were not too big but had well developed speckled patterns. I really want a pair now! I do have an extra 10 gallon. Would that work for a pair? Or no? Hopefully it does because I would LOVE a pair of these awesome fish!

Yeah I really want to get my hands on a 20L. Then the ten can be like a shrimp tank or something.

Yeah it was really neat to see their colors and all. Awesome fish. This is officially an excuse to get a 20L. I already have a spot and everything lol. Too bad petcos dollar per gallon sale didn't cover 20 gallon tanks. Maybe that's another excuse to get a 29 gallon...

Yeah it was really neat to see their colors and all. Awesome fish. This is officially an excuse to get a 20L. I already have a spot and everything lol. Too bad petcos dollar per gallon sale didn't cover 20 gallon tanks. Maybe that's another excuse to get a 29 gallon...

Or a 36 gallon bowfront ;)

How about all of them lol. But no really...back to kribs. Are they good with plants? I'd way rather their tank be planted than not. No dirt for this one though because it sound like they like to move some substrate.

Plants like Anubias or crypts would be a good option. The kribs will most likely move the plants and not really destroy them

Awesome. I'll plant it a lot with maybe swords, crypts, sag, etc. I'll go light on the stem plants just in case. As for hard scape does a couple larger rocks sound good to kinda make a cave? Then a big piece of driftwood as well. These are all just ideas so nothing set in stone. Oh also, do they get along with shrimp? My guess is that they'll get a little temperamental with ones nearby while they're raising fry. But other than that will they fair well with eachother?

Oh why didn't I think of that? Forget the rocks I'll put a few clay pots in there. And a big ol piece of driftwood. It's all kinda coming together in my head :)

Shrimp will be eaten. I use slate to build little "huts" they would push sand to close off one end and spawn in there. Then the female will take her fry out to feed all day then scoop them up and take them back to the cave at night. Very interesting parents.

That's awesome. Kinda sucks that I can't have shrimp, but that's ok. I haven't bred any fish that care for their young, so I wouldn't know, but do you need some sort of dither fish? Just something like tetras. Or are they best left with the tank by themselves?

Tetras are fine I kept Colombian tetras with mine. I wouldn't recommend any bottom feeder since they would either eat the eggs/fry or get bullied by the kribensis

Ok. Do they like harder water or softer? I can do whatever because I use RO. If they like harder water I might go with some sort of live bearer. If soft ill go with tetras

They are pretty adaptable I keep mine in hard water with a neutral ph and they breed all the time. Just keep it stable and they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom