kuhli loach & cory ok together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon I recently switched to sand and I bought 5 kuhlis to help sift it. Will 5-6 corys be ok to add or am I overloading on bottom feeders?

Loaches and Corydoras

I have a 55 gallon I recently switched to sand and I bought 5 kuhlis to help sift it. Will 5-6 corys be ok to add or am I overloading on bottom feeders?

Hello bt...

Loaches are generally aggressive. Corydoras are the complete opposite, very peaceful. I don't think I'd put these two in a tank together.

B

I have Yo-yo loaches and cory's together and they are fine. Kuhli's are very peaceful compared to other rowdier loaches.

They are not your normal loach though. I have kept both in my tanks for years with no issues. They are not rambunctious like clowns.

I have a 30 gallon with just two peppered corys in it now. That tank is going to be an axlotl tank soon so I need to move them, & buy 3-4 more to finish the group! Cant wait to get the others so I can see them all interact. Will 5-6 corys be enough to make them feel safe? Also will a different corys group(like peppered and pandas)? Thanks for the help ive learned a lot here so far!

I have also kept both kuhlis and cories together for years and never had an issue. They are both peaceful, and frankly rather oblivious, so they are fine.
Yes, 5-6 cories will be fine.
I have kept a group of mixed cories. In my experience, they will hang out with similar looking cories, but they won't really formally school. I never had an issue with a mix though, so I think it is fine to have a few of one species and a few of another.

I have 12 kuhlies and 5 cories, and they have co existed peacefully for more than a year. Kuhlies really are quite peaceful and even timid. They are my absolute favorite fish in my tank. Cories are also very peaceful, but a little more active. I have a variety of cories, and they all hang out together without preference, with the exception of my panda cory. He is usually on his own. I think I need to get him some more panda buddies.

If my lfs has peppered I will probably stick with those so I dont have any loners...I already feel guilty for only buying the two(but I didn't know at the time they liked groups)--will these guys eat algae in the tank?

Ok so with the khulis and corys I still wont have an algae eater( I have small amounts of diatom after switching to sand) is there anything I could put in to eat that?

It hasn't been bad (yet ) just spots here n there so far... I guess ill wait it out. I live near Cleveland but thank you for the offer and info!

Diatoms will go away. They are a symptom of new tanks. If you are looking for a small algae eater, otos, bristle nose plecos, rubber lip plecos, farlowella, pitbull plecos are all peaceful and easy to find as well as usually being affordable.
I would only suggest otos or farlowella for a well established tank though.

Well I went and got 5 more peppered cory and added them to the two I had. How long until they group up & I see all the personality and fun ive read about?

Cory's are shoaling fish meaning they will go around in groups and forage but also go about individually.

I have two corydora julii and two panda corys in with a khuli loach and they get along really well, I've never had any problems with them

Back
Top Bottom