Kuhli Loach question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got 5 kuhli loaches today and I think they are just SO COOL!

However, my substrate is of about 1cm smooth rocks. I know that they like sand - so I'm thinking that maybe I should get some sand and submerge a little bit of sand (say in a shallow bowl) in the aquarium for them to play in.

If they would enjoy that, what kind of sand should it be? I know some sand is a little too sharp for them. Any suggestions? Or are the rocks just fine?

I have khulis in a tank with play sand, but they don't seem to do much with the sand. The two black khulis spend most of the time hiding under a piece of slate and the three striped khulis sit on top of the slate, in the plants, or on top of the sand. Play sand, pool filter sand, Quickrete Medium Sand, or sand from the LFS should all be fine.

i put khulis loach in my tank 2 weeks ago and i have not seen them since i persume they have hidden under the gravel or sand?
i used sand from aquarium shop not sure what its called
sorry im not much help but havent seen koulis since

Your khulis could very easily be hiding in the sand. Khulis seem to have a very wide range of personalities.

My 6 Kuhli's are crazy! They are out all day long swimming in circles around the bubble wand and thermometer. I do have the brown Kuhli's though, not the striped. Maybe they have different personalities?

Well, I've found that my loaches like to be out and about, but they are alos intent on hiding from the goldfish... I hope that when I move the goldfish to a new tank, that they will come out more and play!

Thanks for your observations, though. My guys are all striped!

Khulis are just oddballs. One of mine gave me a start the other day... was laying *sideways* across the top of some java moss, and looked pale... I thought, nuts, he's dead. So I come back later to clean him out... he's gone. And then saw him later, slithering around the rocks.

Aside from that I rarely see mine either. They seem to hide well in the black moon sand in the 10G.

I LOVE MY KHULIS . there so cool but i also have the brownish ones i would love to have the striped ones but my lfs doesnt have them:[ also its funny my mom thinks they look like worms and they creep her out lol

My husband thinks they look like snakes/eels and he thinks they are weird too lol! But I think he is learning to love them, cause I catch him staring at them all the time lol!

No, it's my husband I catch staring at them lol! Mine are never still as far as I can tell lol! Always going in circles around the bubbler or thermometer, I like them. And when it's feeding time, they are EXTRA crazy.

o lol .mine go crazy when i feed them to expecially when i feed them shrimp pellets.but other than feeding time and water changes . mine are pretty laid back tho. but then they can be super CRAZAY

Yes, mine also love shrimp pellets! That is what they usually get, besides frozen bloodworms. And they also try to swim up the vacuum when I am doing a pwc....dang fish. LOL! But I really do love them. And lately they have been digging in the sand with their pec. fins. I think they might be trying to eat the baby MTS.

loaches do love snails.and im getting some pfs for my 75 gal and im gonna get some extra for my 20 gal with my khulis and corys

I used a whole bag of pfs to fill the 75. I bought another bag to do the 20 and ended up having enough for the other 2 tanks too. AND I still have over a half a bag left lol. So, when I sneak my next tank in, I will be able to use pfs in it too LMAO!

aswome .ive finnaly got the money to do all this but now i just need a ride to get to the pool store lol

yeah i do and thats only about a mile from my house wooooooo. thats a pretty good deal to

Back
Top Bottom