Kuhli loach question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 6 black Kuhli and I only see one or two out and about and only occasionally. The rest stay in the cave I have set up for them. They are just recently acquired (2 weeks) so could they still be settling in? I have only one that dances for me and only sometimes. I really want to bring out the "dance" in them so any suggestions?

They are in a 35g hex with 6 guppies, 2 black skirt tetra, 2 GW killi, a cae, 1 Micky mouse platy and a mystery snail. The tank is lightly planted with an Anubis nana tied to a lava rock and pennywort. Also a moss ball. Plus a couple of plastic plants.

My levels are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, PH 8ish, nitrates 20

I'm very cautious of over stocking so I'm not sure adding more is an option. As I know that the guppies will be breeding. However, I'm not sure about fry survival as the GW will most likely make snacks of any fry.

Could I get more Kuhli? Would that help? How many more could the tank handle?

Thank you all in advance for any information.

Attachments

• image-1055734408.jpg
    image-1055734408.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't floor space a premium for kuhlis? They grow to about 4 inches long, having 6 kuhlis in a 35g hex is already pushing it. It seems to me like your tank would do better with a few top level swimmers instead.

I think the fact that your tank is a hex is where the problem lies. You have enough kuhlis for them to be comfortable being out. Aside from doing the dance, they do love to zoom around the corners of the tank. Your tank does not allow them that space. I have a dozen in a 46 bowfront and they are always zooming around as well as dancing.

My khulis are rarely seen and they have been in my tank for six months plus. Its just their way

I respectfully disagree. If you provide them with the proper environment and school size, they should spend most of their time zooming around the tank.

I agree with Lynda. A hex tank does not provide a good footprint, so you may not see as much of their behavior. They might still come out more though after they have been in there for longer. I have 5, and I see them all. They are definitely more active at dusk though. They are nocturnal in nature, but if they feel comfortable, they will still come out.

Mine go through phases. Sometimes they are out and about and sometimes I don't see them for a week. The come out more at night and sometimes during water changes. Just depends.

Thank you all for the wonderful answers. Tonight I have 4 out and about. 2 swimming from top to bottom like crazy. Is my foot print bad enough that I need to rehome?

Thank you all for the wonderful answers. Tonight I have 4 out and about. 2 swimming from top to bottom like crazy. Is my foot print bad enough that I need to rehome?
If they are coming out, being active, and not sharing the bottom with anybody else, I think you are ok. Just don't add anymore. IMO.

If you want really active loaches and getting a bigger tank you could try yo-yo loaches! I have 10 but I split them in 2 different tanks, theyre very entertaining and fun to watch and come out a lot! I can sit and watch them for hours!! But idk if you could put them with Khuli loaches or not!! :)

absolutangel04 said:
If they are coming out, being active, and not sharing the bottom with anybody else, I think you are ok. Just don't add anymore. IMO.

Thank you again! They are my only bottom occupants and I will not be adding any others. Last night they were so fun to watch, I love these fish!!!

Tigroscr said:
If you want really active loaches and getting a bigger tank you could try yo-yo loaches! I have 10 but I split them in 2 different tanks, theyre very entertaining and fun to watch and come out a lot! I can sit and watch them for hours!! But idk if you could put them with Khuli loaches or not!! :)

Thank you, I do love the yo-yo, unfortunately my husband says no more tanks :-( unless I can find someone willing to take him as trade on a bigger tank!! :) only kidding.

Yes he is! And he helps with the cooking but only helps make the mess when it comes to cleaning and he SNORES!!!

Back
Top Bottom