Kuhli Loach Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfirefighter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently went to the LFS and wanted to buy 4-5 Kuhli Loaches for my 29 Gal FW. When I saw them they are much small than I thought. I read that people were having an issue with the loaches swimming/being sucked into their HOB filters. I have a Tetra Whisper EX45 and though the holes on the end are very small, I am still worried about them ending up in the filter. So what does everyone recommend to stop this from happening? See if I can find more mature loaches? Or is there something I could wrap around the filter end that would not cause an issue with filtration but would prevent them from entering the filter? Thanks in Advance!

arcticfirefighter said:
I recently went to the LFS and wanted to buy 4-5 Kuhli Loaches for my 29 Gal FW. When I saw them they are much small than I thought. I read that people were having an issue with the loaches swimming/being sucked into their HOB filters. I have a Tetra Whisper EX45 and though the holes on the end are very small, I am still worried about them ending up in the filter. So what does everyone recommend to stop this from happening? See if I can find more mature loaches? Or is there something I could wrap around the filter end that would not cause an issue with filtration but would prevent them from entering the filter? Thanks in Advance!

Wrap clean nylon stocking around filter intake, or make a hole in an aquarium sponge and fit it over the intake. I like using sponges because it provides more area for the biological filter to colonize.

They grow to larger than the width of a pencil, if that helps. I've had some teeny tiny ones when first purchased, and never had an issue with them and the filter. Only if your filter intake is super close to the bottom of the tank would I worry about it.

The options in the above post are always a good thing to consider, though, if you're concerned.

Thanks for both of the inputs! I am sure my wife won't mind me "borrowing" a pair of NEW stockings... My intake is about 6-8 inches above the bottom but it is really close to a few plants that they may be swimming through or around. Thats my only concern really. The ones at the LFS were really small, about 2 inches long and very skinny. Maybe these were just really young ones. I will go back in a few days to see if they have any more mature ones. Thanks again for the help!!
:thanks:

my one is super small just got him and iv never had any issues he likes to jam him self in down the side of the filter but he easily comes out and swims of when hes searching for food maby cover the filter with a stocking of your over concerned as suggested above but all and all mines been fine

Back
Top Bottom