Kuhli loach tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaw1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 kuhli loaches and they're always hiding. I knew they were gonna be hiding all the time. But does anyone have any tips to bring them out more? And they never come out to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 5 khuli's in this tank and they venture out on occasion.

They have lots of places to hide again if they feel uncomfortable.

It seems dumb but the more places they have to hide the more they will come out. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467760186.514023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 5 khuli's in this tank and they venture out on occasion.

They have lots of places to hide again if they feel uncomfortable.

It seems dumb but the more places they have to hide the more they will come out. View attachment 287744

Ok but do u know why they aren't coming out to eat? Are they supposed to? I've only had them for three days btw

I'd be willing to bet they are coming out and scavenging after dark.
It will take a while to build confidence. I have one that still hides even though the other 4 come out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467771607.865523.jpg

I have had mine for 3 years I think...

How big is he?

I have 7 and they say the more you have the more they venture out. We are sort of in a good pattern, I feed them at night, soon after it is dark. Feed algae wafers, broken up in small pieces,crab cuisine shrimp pellets. I have a moon light and use a flashlight to see them. Then in the mornings when I feed the other fish they now come out for that too although more cautiously and just long enough to eat.

I have a big piece of driftwood and a hollow log, both which they stay under and scurry to after they eat. It's important they have hiding places. I can peek in the tank at night and they will be out and about in the dark.

Good luck and enjoy.

Some good advice already here.

I had 14 at one stage and they were most active for me when the sunlight first shone on the tank. I also used to turn the filter off when I feed them. They eventually worked out v that the v filter turning off meant it was feed time and they would come out.

They are probably still a bit traumatized about the move, but will eventually become a bit more confident.

I have 3 kuhli loaches and they're always hiding. I knew they were gonna be hiding all the time. But does anyone have any tips to bring them out more? And they never come out to eat.

They come out all the time but during the night, I had group of 25, once there are enough in the group the will eventually get out during the day, but I'd advise to make dark spots where they can crawl around during the day but it need to be dark enough so the won't get scared if the light ;)

You said it's only be 3 days since you've had them, right?

They are probably still settling into their new home. Fish can take a few days, sometimes even a week or more, to settle in. (My sister adopted a betta recently, it took him 5 days before he was out and about in his 30 gallon planted tank and a week before he would come out to eat).

I've had groups of 6-8 before (in a 10-someone gave them to me as they had them in a 1 gallon tank, I definitely think a two foot tank is far too short for these active and zippy little fish, 29, and 55), and never had issues with them hiding.

I don't recall what size tank you said you had, but getting more would definitely help them feel safer too I bet. This is a very social fish species that lives in large groups in the wild.

Having lots of stuff for them to hide in to helps make them feel more secure, along with lots of ground cover such as driftwood or plants. Like the previous poster said, the more stuff you have for them to hide in, the more out and about they will be because they feel safe knowing they can dart into a safe hidey spot easily.

Maybe I've just lucked out with mine, as I would always see them zipping around during the day. They also would get especially zippy after a water change :)

Feeding frozen bloodworms too will usually lure them out ;) They slurp them up like spaghetti noodles!

Back
Top Bottom