Kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Hello. I'm considering getting a handful of black kuhlis for my 120g angelfish tank. Anyone who has kept them have a little more info on them? I've never kept kuhlis but have kept a few other bigger loaches.

I literally just got 5 of them today. And they are adorable right now. I also have one adult. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422861713.030204.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422861768.498765.jpg they hang out all over in the weirdest places. And almost like sift through the sand eating little pieces of food.

I love my fish!!!

I've never kept angelfish are they aggressive? If the kuhlis can fit in their mouth they may be lunch.

I love my fish!!!

Yes, about 3" of pool filter sand. I read that they like to dig, which is ok with me. There's plants in there, but many have been in there for a few months so they are deeply rooted. If they pull them up then it's no big deal either way.

They won't really go under the sand or uproot plants if they have enough hiding spots. They will be more active in a densely planted tank. Sounds like you would like them and they would be happy!

I love my fish!!!

I love khuli's! They have become my favorite for the bottom, I never seem to have much luck with cories, and I love how they lounge aroundz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use to have 11 kuhli in my 55, loved those guy's always hanging from plant's. Mine never buried but had a pipe they would hide in. I fed them pellets, frozen and live food (bloodworm and brine ) flakes and even fresh veg, in fact they ate anything Lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

I used to keep these when I was younger and they where my brother's favorites so he had them in all of his tanks. We would get them and a week later not see them again- Never without failwe would be taking a tank down and there are always at least one left alive and well hidden in the gravel! A waste of money for us though we love them so much- they hide and you will never see them :/ Its a real bummer. It didnt matter how many caves or hiding places we had or substrate either...

They hide, hide, hide and hide some more. Like the other poster said you'll never see them no matter how big the group is. They will get into filters and any crevice. Cool fish but a waste of money to me for a fish that hides so much.

Mine where always out and about, never had that problem even with my elephant nose prowling :)

Mine where always out and about, never had that problem even with my elephant nose prowling :)

Do yours have anywhere to hide? Maybe I gave mine too many hiding spaces, because if they have somewhere to hide, they will.

Yeah, I had a pipe for them if they needed it, but it wasn't something they really used.

Frozen or live food lures them out. I used a turkey baster to target feed them if need be. You normally need to have a large group for them to become bold enough to come out as often as you'd like. So normally at least six or more. If you only have two or three they may hide more. And as with many shy fish the more hiding places they have the bolder they will be, esp in planted tanks. If the tank is too open and bright, they may hide more.

Frozen or live food lures them out. I used a turkey baster to target feed them if need be. You normally need to have a large group for them to become bold enough to come out as often as you'd like. So normally at least six or more. If you only have two or three they may hide more. And as with many shy fish the more hiding places they have the bolder they will be, esp in planted tanks. If the tank is too open and bright, they may hide more.

Ohh! I never realized that. I have really never got them recently and my old tanks may have been far too open despite the hiding spots, that does make sense! I may try them again when I get more plants and cover in my current tank :3

Thanks! :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom