Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Kuhli Loaches

I saw some Black Kuhli loaches in the store and I like how they look, I'll be setting up a 125 (was gonna go 150, but can't justify 130$ for 25Gal, I can add a 75Gal sump for that price) with sand substrate, my Question is

since they look like worms, what are the chances my Congo Tetras won't eat them? has anyone kept Kuhli Loaches with Congos? The loaches are probably about 1.5" long right now, and very thin. (jeuvenile?)

If I grow them up a bit in a 10Gal tank (or the sump tht will probably be 40 Gal) how big do they get, and how fast do they grow?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Khulis are slow growers and will stay in the substrate. As long as there are places to hide, they should be fine. I have many khulis in a 50 gal and slowly they have slowly gotten rounder. I believe I have a pic of some khulis in my gallery.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I completely agree with what Menagerie said. They should be good with your congo's just make sure your tank is well planted and you have a lot of hiding places that they can retreat to, so that they can be alone, like for example two upside down clay flower pots or a little cave. Also, try feeding in the night, cause I think they are nocturnal, but I'm not a 100% on that.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have been wanting Khuli's but everyone says they are not worth it because they are constantly hiding. However I have also read about them coming out to play in the plants & in the water current. So which is it??
Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I've read, the Black Kuhli's are far more playful. 5 will make them more comfortable aswell (but they don't shoal together), I usually have shrimp pellets on the bottom for the clowns, I have to throw in extra since the plec. hits these first, then his algae wafers , but the clowns click like mad when I throw them in .

I have a pile of driftwood at the front and a couple of pipes in there for the vampire shrimp and clowns to duck into (I assume they get along with clowns)

I have about 11 different plants and 25-30 valisneria<sp> but those are spread across the back but in the new tank they'll be grouped together. (also a flower pot, but the cory has staked a claim that it's his/hers) I guess when I replace the 75 sometime in the next couple weeks I'll have to pick some up

Thanks for the answers.

The reason I was asking is because when I only had 4 Congos, 21 Neon Tetras went missing in a week.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The neons were in the way of the Congos

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you serious! 21 of your neon tetras went missing in one week?! Are you sure they didn't get sucked up in you filter or jumped out, since tetras are good jumpers u never know.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

FWIW (not sure if I have Pangio pangia or Pangio javanicus), they're shy and noctournal but are also funny and cute - their faces look like little otters! Some things that I've found while trying to tailor my tank to them:

I tired to compress Java Moss into a dense carpet they could crawl under, but failed. I think the idea is sound but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Moonlighting is the only way to really appreciate these guys. I've been experimenting and red LEDs seem to spook them least, followed by blue LEDs and blue cold cathode. (I've not tried red cold cathode yet.)

The more entrances and exits a cave has, the more likely they are to use it. They seem to like tight hiding places more than big ones (they dig substrate into my 1" PVC caves happily).

They will dig under decorations to create new hiding places and adapt their enviornment. In my case it is a rock flanked with microsword, which they constantly uprooted. I've since discovered that as long as I leave their tunnels under the rock open, they don't care about the microsword.

They can twist up thick bunches of Anacharis

They seem to coexist with shrimp nicely. I've even seen Amano and cherry shrimp fight them off for wafers! They're also social - many times I've seen an oto hang out on the substrate while Kuhlis swam over, under, and around him. I doubt you'll have issues with other bottom dwellers.

At 1.5" I think you'll need to heed all advice in profiles about covering filter intakes. I left the prefilter of my bulkhead off while testing flow rates, and within 10 minutes had a Kuhlii in the sump.

II think a river tank set-up may be ideal for these guys' body type, because they sure liked it when I tried a 170gph powerhead into my small tank. I've also been playing with the idea of an under gravel tunnel system, integrating my sump return to keep water flowing through the pipes. Just some ideas.

HTH

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are you serious! 21 of your neon tetras went missing in one week?! Are you sure they didn't get sucked up in you filter or jumped out, since tetras are good jumpers u never know.
Nope, they didn't jump, I moved the 3 that survived to my sisters tank where they are doing well (and haven't jumped) they were in my 75, glass top, no openings, no remains, no funny smell on the carpet.. even if the Congos didn't eat them, they are the only thing that could, I doubt the pleco was vacumming them up (they were fine until the congos got over 2" and they were staying where the Plec couldn't get to them at night.)

Thank you czcz, I will be adding a sump since I've already had a blue tetra jump into my skimmer (found the remains in my cannister) and it seems a safer way to filter the tank.

at least this way there is no easy way for them to get into the filters. I plan on putting about 3" thick floss where the filter intakes will be in the sump, that should stop them from getting slurped up anyway.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

np. Filter floss compacts and slows flow rates, potentially causing your main tank to overflow, just fyi. Smarter may be a 90 deg elbow with slits/small holes to skim the surface and then open celled foam inside the bulkhead as a prefilter (I use this now with no problems for the past week, many trials including obstructed skimmer).

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com