Kuhli Loaches with Psychopathic Fish!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primetime

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

I have 2 apistogramma agassizii cichlids that are complete nutcases. I had them in my 55 gallon tank until they decided to kill 1 platy, 2 panda corys and 3 shwartzi corys. I was forced to move them to my 10 gallon planted tank.

They are currently with my Crowntail Betta and everyone takes care of themselves very well. I even had 3 Diamond Tetras in there with my Betta at one point (because I was trading the Diamonds in a few days). So the Betta is peaceful.

My question is, I wanted to get 3 Kuhli Loaches. Now, to anyone who says "your tank will be overcrowded" my response is I do 2 water changes a week and I know what I'm doing. Also the cichlids are only 2" and the betta is 3".

If the Kuhli's get harassed, they'll be moved to the 55. The only reason that I want to put the Kuhlis in the 10 gallon is because it has sand as the substrate and the 55 gallon has flourite.

I was wondering if the Kuhlis will take better care of themselves with the Apistos than the Corys did?

Suggestions?

If they have already killed 7 fish why would want to risk the lives of 3 more fish. Even if you plan to pull the Kuhlis out if they are attacked you are setting them up for unnecessary abuse, plus they will just hide all the time if they feel threatened. I would just leave the agassizii in the tank with the Betta or return them to a pet store.

I would think that it would not work. If the cichlids are that aggressive then anything you put in there will most likely get harrassed. Although it is strange they don't go after the betta. :?

What I have found is that if you try something like that, sometimes the harrassment occurs overnight and in the morning it is too late. I added a full grown cichlid to my established cichlid tank, moved all the decorations, did a water change and fed the fish and slipped the new guy in. Everything seemed fine. The next morning he was on his side and clearly had been attacked. I removed him but he died later that day.

That is why I suggest extreme caution adding fish to a highly aggressive pair.

Yup. I did a very smart thing today. I traded in the cichlids. They did exactly what you said Zagz when they killed in the 55 gallon. 3 of the fish were fine in the night and dead in the morning with red soars all over :( .

10 Gallon now has:

1 CT Betta
3 Otos
1 survivor Panda Cory

Aggressive fish can be great in an aggressive tank with lots of territories. But for community tanks they are disaster. Now you can get the loaches. :)

Zagz said:
Aggressive fish can be great in an aggressive tank with lots of territories. But for community tanks they are disaster. Now you can get the loaches. :)
Lol yup. I'm gonna wait for atleast a month though because I've been hearing/reading of bad Kuhli stocks recently. I don't want to put the Betta, Panda or otos in danger.

Back
Top Bottom