L102 Snowball Pleco food suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missileman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know there are better sites for pleco questions but it doesn't hurt to ask here too.
I bought 2 L102 snowballs 2 days ago.(yes I am sure they are L102)
a male and female.
I am having trouble with feeding and I may have overeacted to a tank condition.
Let me explain, My intent was to leave the pair in my 20 gal by themselfs for a while but after 24 hours I saw numerous small white worms on the glass, I freaked and removed my prize plecos to my 75 gal community tank (I have a smallish L204 in there as well). I now believe the worms are Planaria which I understand pose no threat to the fish. Be that as it may I do plan on a thorough gravel cleaning and water change before using that tank again.
At any rate, I placed Zucchini in the 20 gal when I put the L102s in and it went untouched. I found out that the L102 are carnivores so when I moved them to the 75 gal I put some sinking carnivore pellets in after lights out.
This morning the plecos were laying by the pellets (in between a couple of pieces of driftwood) but didn't eat any. The tank mates took care of the pellets when they woke up.
I understand they will eat frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms but I stuff like that doesn't make it to the bottom of the tank without being scarfed up by the other fish.
Any suggestions on how or what to feed them?
I don't want to lose $100 worth of such lovely fish to starvation.
Of course they may just need to settle in.

Feeding the Snowball Plecostomus is not difficult due to the fact that it is not a picky eater. Feeding off the bottom of the aquarium, it gets most of its nutrition from left over food and algae. If there is no algae or left over food present, supplement with high quality flake food, sinking carnivore pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, and tubifex.

or so says liveaquaria.com, ive also read they need to settle in, but hopefully others can be of more help.

Thank you for the reply.
I did a full water change and thorough gravel vac on the 20 gallon and relandscaped for plecos.
I made a number of caves from small clay pots and pieces of larger broken clay pots ( boiled to be safe)
along with a couple of pieces of driftwood.I also changed to an Actinic Blue light to limit stress when the lights are on and added a small power head to create a small amount of current.
I put the pair back into the tank last night and left a couple of spirulina sticks along with a few carnivore pellets.
All the food was gone this morning.I think the stress of the other tank mates and just the newness of being at my house curbed their appetite but onece they got hungry enough and felt safe coming out they did.
I have not seen a return of the worms YET but I would be surprised if they don't show up, so I will have to research a way to get rid of them that won't hurt my plecos.

Back
Top Bottom