Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

L129 Scribble Pleco

Hey all,

I just got a nice scribble pleco from www.exoticfinds.net over the weekend. He seemed to acclimate fine, but he doesn't come out (as far as I can tell) during the day or night. I don't know if he's eating. Anyone have this species? What behaviors have you observed?

Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

He is still adjusting to his new surroundings. It's not suprising that it doesn't come out during the day. They are nocturnal species and usually are active at night.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Congrats on your purchase....they're great fish. L-129 is what I ordered and ended up with the L-316 instead. I had the same problem as you and I consulted a Loricarid expert and it's normal for Hypancistrus to hide during the day...they are very nocturnal in the wild. Try to rig up a cave that he can hide in, but that you can see into. Mine hides in my shipwreck. I can see him...he usually stays right on the rim. I feed mine 3 different things. Hypancistrus are maily carnivores so I feed Hikari sinking carnivore wafers, TetraMin sinking tablets, and sinking Spirulina wafers (they do like spirulina occasionally). I drop the tablet in after the lights have been out for a while, and the only way I know he's eating is: 1. he's been in there for months and he's still alive..... 2. when I see him in his shipwreck I can see his little tummy is round and not sunken in.... 3. Sometimes, after lights out, I go in with a flashlight and catch him out eating his tablet.

I'm going to add some moonlight to my 29 eventually so I can see him more, but I love peeking at him in his shipwreck. He comes out when I do my PWC, but only because he gets mad at the water current being poured on his shipwreck. He's fun to watch then because he scrambles around the tank looking for somewhere else to hide.

*EDIT* my pleco expert told me that, with Hypancistrus, hiding is normal behavior. If they're hiding during the day, they're healthy. If they're out a lot , something's wrong....the complete opposite of other fish. Not long after I got mine he started hanging out a lot up by the heater and I worried non-stop because he didn't even run when I turned on the light in the morning, but, eventually, he went back into his shipwreck and I breathe easy now. Get yourself a cave that you can see into and set your tank up with moonlight. They are very neat to watch.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I get a bristlenose with this Scribble? Are they compatible?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think there would be some territory issues. They might want the same cave You could try it if you have a decent sized tank and plenty of places for them to hide.

How's your L-129 getting along? I'll bet he's a cutie!

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

He stays hidden. I haven't seen him since the weekend
Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where is he hiding? Do you look for him after lights out with a flashlight? Sometimes, mine won't even come out if lights are on in the room. I turn off everything and shine the flashlight on the tank and there he'll be eating the tablet I put in for him. You might want to move everything and check on him. I'm sure he's okay (they're grat hiders) but check anyway. Get him a cave that you can see into.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Till I get or construct a cave, what food can I place in the tank to lure him out at night? Zucchini? and how do you prepare that anyway?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
Hypancistrus are maily carnivores so I feed Hikari sinking carnivore wafers, TetraMin sinking tablets, and sinking Spirulina wafers (they do like spirulina occasionally). I drop the tablet in after the lights have been out for a while, and the only way I know he's eating is: 1. he's been in there for months and he's still alive..... 2. when I see him in his shipwreck I can see his little tummy is round and not sunken in.... 3. Sometimes, after lights out, I go in with a flashlight and catch him out eating his tablet.
They are not big veggie eaters...they are carnivorous. Your best bet is Hikari sonking carnivore wafers and Tetra Min tablets.....mine was scarfing one down night before last and I caught him red-handed with the flashlight.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

linky: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...ncis/211_F.PHP

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com