Lack of $ causing changes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balasharkfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I was planning on having a planted tank with eco-complete, 4wpg with good ligthing, etc. but since my money is running thin for the next few moths, Ive decided to just use gravel and plastic plants until i get the money situaiton resolved. :cry:

I will be doing a fishless cycle (if with, then zebra danios) in my 55G with a XP3 filter, Ebo Jager 250W heater, earth toned color gravel, stress coat, and stick on thermometer.. 8)

I should have no probs but to just watch my water levels, right?

TIA,
Dan

Right. Sorry about funds keeping you from doing what you want, but I think we have all been there, or are there right with you, LOL!

If there is any way you can swing the EcoComplete substrate, I would do it, since the gravel is something that is really a pain to change out later once you get lighting and whatnot.

At $20 per bag of Eco-Complete at PetSmart (cheapest Ive seen) and my needing 7 bags for the 55G, it would cost about $152 and right now I have to worry about paying other things off.

But trust me, I so badly want to have a live planted tank with great lighting, substrate and CO2.

If I do have some available funds, maybe I can purchase the eco-complete next weekend., we'll see.

Thanks TG.

Dan

I went with the gravel silk root for my 58 and I knew that long term I want a planted tank..

I can understand where your coming from but at the same time I have to tell you I am still enjoying my tank while I wait... :)

I am growing some plants in an established tank with only gravel. Maybe this is a planted tank :nono:, but it is working! Kudos to you for looking to the future and not letting funding stop you from having a tank!

My heavily planted tank is a 55 and has gravel, too, don't get me wrong - it is just one area that I wish I had thought ahead about, so I hate for others to be kicking themselves in this regard as well.

I later mixed in some Fluorite, a little more when I moved, but I would have preferred 100% plant substrate. Just use some root tabs for your root feeders. If you are strapped for $$, then $152 is quite a few sheckels!

By the time your ready to do up your tank as a planted tank you'll be ready for another bigger tanks.. :)

I am--so far, so good. They are low light plants and my tank is well established.
I still have fake plants in there and I have java fern tied to driftwood and the roots are no where near the gravel.

No CO2 for me. I have java fern, aneubias and krips. The last two were pulled from a member of the Calgary Aquarium Society's tank and given to me.

This was pulled from an old thread in the planted tanks section and gives you more choices for low light, no CO2 plants.
Fruitbat said:
I can heartily recommend practically any species of Cryptocoryne for such a tank. You can also grow Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum) as well as Sagittaria if you like the 'grassy' look. Almost any species of Anubias will also thrive in low light levels.

At low light levels, adding additional CO2 really isn't as much of an issue as it is in high light tanks. I use a Seachem product called Flourish Excel to provide a source of extra carbon for my plants. I also use Seachem Flourish as a general fertilizer and use Flourish Tabs beneath my gravel as a slow-release source of nutients. I use the recommended doses of the Flourish and Flourish Excel and I supplement those with Flourish Iron. (No...I do NOT work for Seachem!! They simply have a great line of plant care products.)

I've posted some profiles that might interest you...especially the ones on Cryptocoryne wendtii and Java Fern. You can find them at : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=26

Thanks for the post, Ill keep my eye on it!! :p

-----

You live in Canada, in Calgary, and youre a Devils fan??

I was in Victoria, BC a few months ago and I was in the bathroom (in a club) washing my hands when I overheard two guys talking hockey. I couldnt help but start laughing.

Youd never overhear two guys talking about hockey in the US, at least not in my experience.

Menagerie and I do - use root tabs for feeding them in the absence of nutrient rich substrate.

:D . There's a lot to said for a low light planted tank. Mine is a 55 using just gravel and no CO2. This was my first planted tank ever and is really no labor at all. Not to mention, it kept the cost down :wink:

I feel your pain, balasharkfreak... I am ALWAYS broke... Darn school takes all my time and money away :)

My tank isn't heavily planted, but it has 2 large amazon swords and 3 bunches of red ludwigia, all of which have been doing fine on std gravel for quite a while, even though I keep harasing them with the vacuum ;) And no CO2 for them either...

I think Ill try the plants with the gravel and low light...now I just need to wait for my filter to arrive before I start anything.

Thanks again all!
Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom