Lack of Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mambee

Aquarium Advice Freak
With local pet shops disappearing and the big boxes proliferating, where does everyone go to find interesting fish? When I must, I go to aquabid.

I used to purchase interesting fish at local pet shops back in the day, but now I find it hard to buy once common fish.

I love kuhli loaches, but I rarely see them stocked anymore. If I do, they are usually in bad shape.

I recently lost most of my school of rummynose tetras to a wicked ich outbreak. These are great fish which can live up to 10 years, and it took me awhile to increase my school to 11. Now I am down to 4 and haven't seen any lately.

Another old time fish is the brass tetra, which I haven't seen in ages.

I miss the old fashioned pet shops.

I subscribe to Practical Fishkeeping, a UK publication, and the hobby seems to be doing well there with tons of local shops plus well regarded chains.

My local big box pet store has black kuhli loaches...a couple of weeks ago I purchased three of them along with a school of neons. Unfortunately a few days later I started to notice signs of ich. The fish all seemed healthy and did not show any outward signs when I purchased them, but I am convinced they brought the ich into my tank. I'm now in the middle of treatment (tank at 86-87 with salt treatment).

But I agree...big box pet stores now usually only have the standard varieties of goldfish, a couple types of tetras, mollies, guppies, dwarf gourami and common pleco. Where I am, the closest independent pet shop is about 30 - 40 minutes away and I can't get over as much as I would like to...We used to have a couple of nice local shops within a 10 minute radius, but they closed within a couple of years of each other leaving 4 big box pet shops within an 8 mile radius. So sad...

I miss the old stores that didn't have daisy-chained tanks, so ich in one tank didn't mean ich in all tanks.

PR Aquatics isn't up yet but it's going to be a store that should have some interesting stuff from a very knowledgeable guy.

Otherwise, aquabid and wet spot.

PR Aquatics isn't up yet but it's going to be a store that should have some interesting stuff from a very knowledgeable guy.

Otherwise, aquabid and wet spot.

I have ordered from both and was very happy. The only drawback is that you have to already know what you want instead seeing something interesting in a shop.

Back
Top Bottom