Lake Rock and Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I was curious to know if I go by a lake and pick up a rock from the lake and make sure to clean this rock, will this have any effect on my tank? Thanks.

Man made lakes are full of chemicals...if its a natural lake then probably ok if you clean it, boil it, make sure that its not a space alien... ;)

Lol, this isn't a man made lake, its a natural lake. So, now its time to go lake rock hunting, thanks.

Test it before you put it in the tank to make sure its inert too. Put some vinegar on it to see if it goes fizz. If it doesn't then that's what you want.

I've heard that vinegar isn't a good test, and to be sure you have to use muriatic acid to test for metals.

src said:
I've heard that vinegar isn't a good test, and to be sure you have to use muriatic acid to test for metals.
vinegar is fine if you are worried about carbonates, muriatic acid (HCl) is strong stuff so be careful, but yes it will react with MOST metal ores to release Hydrogen gas

hc8719 said:
you'd test with HCl?

i used that in chemistry...ate through a penny,

enough said

First, as I said in my original post I had seen comments that vinegar isn't strong enough to test for metals, and that muriatic acid was preferred if you really want to be sure that the rock is safe for the aquarium. To the best of my knowledge, that statement is accurate.

Second, muriatic acid isn't straight HCl - it's 30% HCl, 70% water, and still tricky to handle, but it's not going to "eat through a penny" unless you leave the penny in a jar of it for a good long while. HCl is the same acid you have in your stomach - swallow a penny and see what happens.

src said:
Second, muriatic acid isn't straight HCl - it's 30% HCl, 70% water, and still tricky to handle, but it's not going to "eat through a penny" unless you leave the penny in a jar of it for a good long while. HCl is the same acid you have in your stomach - swallow a penny and see what happens.

Don't really try that at home kids! :lol:

30% HCl is still strong enough to hurt you.....but no, it won't "eat" a penny. You'd need stronger HCl for that....but the only place to get stronger HCl is probably a chemical supply company. Muriatic acid is usually sold as a pool cleaner.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but my guess is most any rock you find up there would be fine....if it's tough enough to survive glaciation then it won't be a carbonate anyway. If it resembles granite, then you're good to go. If it's light colored and you can scratch it with a knife blade, keep looking.

If you post a pic. people will most likely be able to identify the rock, as Newfound did for me a while back?

Back
Top Bottom