Lakerfan's Planted/GBR Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakerfan824

Aquarium Advice Regular
After skipping the canadian winter hanging out in Australia, it is almost time for me to fly back home for the summer!

Unfortunately, upon leaving my fish+ 36 bowfront under the care of my mother, 95% of them died during the great ich of 2014 (RIP fishies)

I've decided my project when I get home will be to set up my first planted tank with the goal of adding GBR eventually!

I wanna make this a nice show tank, so I'm hopefully gonna go rimless w/ lily pipes and inline everything. This might have to be added gradually due to budget concerns!

I really need some good advice on substrate, lighting, and Ferts as this is my first planted tank.

Can't wait to start the adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's everyone's opinion on the best footprint for Rams? I'm looking for a tank in the 25-35G range, but I'm not sure whether long and narrow is better or more square.

A 30 long would be pretty perfect for a trio, a 20 long would work as well.. that 36 bf would be just fine if you're wanting to use that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 30 long would be pretty perfect for a trio, a 20 long would work as well.. that 36 bf would be just fine if you're wanting to use that?

Multiple females can be a delicate balance and probably not an undertaking for a first timer. When those females get going I sometimes feel I need to add more plants and wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Multiple females can be a delicate balance and probably not an undertaking for a first timer. When those females get going I sometimes feel I need to add more plants and wood.

You're right, I winged it and eventually one was lost, it does keep things interesting though!

I had good luck with a pair in a 30 gallon long, along with a nice group of Black and Red Phantom Tetras, and some Synodontis nigriventris. Definitely skip the S. nigriventris if you are interested in growing out fry.

I'll probably get a pair plus some tetras, corys, and shrimp. The tank is gonna be built around the Rams so I'm not gonna add anything that isn't a good fit with them

I'll probably get a pair plus some tetras, corys, and shrimp. The tank is gonna be built around the Rams so I'm not gonna add anything that isn't a good fit with them

Then you may want to leave the shrimp out, rams love shrimp.

Haha exactly. I don't mind if a few shrimp get munched as long as the Rams are happy :)

Get a good population going before the rams go in so that way the rams can't decimate their numbers before the little guys have a chance.

Ya the Rams will go in a couple months after everything else. Plus I have a 10 gallon that I use as a shrimp tank so I always have a backup if they all get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom