Large Aquarium Best Practices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all

I just moved from a 29G to a 72G Bowfront :)

I don't know who's happier... me or my fish. They are loving this!

I was wondering if anyone has any best practice advice based on experiences with large tanks such as this? Here's what I've learned so far in the 24 hours since it's been running:

1) Make sure the outlet for the filters, etc. are accessible from the side the canister is on (sheesh)

2) Don't unplug the canister hoses when the valves are open unless you're due for a shower (sheesh)

3) Your fish will behave differently in their new roomy home. Spend time watching and enjoying

But in all seriousness, any advice would be helpful! Here's the setup:

- Eheim 2215 Canister filter (Don't know the best place to put the input/output yet)
- Two glass hearters - one rated for this tank, the other for the 30 gallon
- 1 4" Moonlight Gourami with a couple of smaller friends on the way
- 5 Harlequin Rasbora with 5 more on the way
- 5 Rummy Nose Tetra with 5 more on the way
- 4 Male Fancy tail guppies who think they're Harlequins
- Some very healthy Java Fern

Will be planning a cleaning crew soon. Probably shrimp and anything else anyone might recommend

I'm most likely picking up another canister filter so advice on that would be appreciated

And any other tips/tricks/experiences with larger tanks would be awesome as well!

Thanks!

Gavin

Great advice Addison but the substrate may be too rocky for their barbs. What do you think?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425333092659.jpg
    1425333092659.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 64
Great advice Addison but the substrate may be too rocky for their barbs. What do you think?

Yeah I wouldn't get corys with that. If you want shrimp avoid smaller ones because of the gourami.
Bamboo, vampire (only if it's a pretty established tank) and even Amano if you've got the algae for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Corys will be perfectly fine with that substrate. Their barbels tend to erode more from poor water conditions and a dirty environment than from damage caused by substrate.

Large Tank Advice

Hello Pil...

The best advice I can pass on to owners of any sized tank is, don't rely on any mechanical filter system to keep the tank water clear of dissolved wastes. It simply takes in toxic tank water and returns the same water a little bit less toxic. If you want to avoid tank problems, then start an aggressive water change routine from the beginning. Remove and replace at least half the tank water every week, no excuses. The more water you flush through the tank and the more often you do it, the better. Do this, and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

Have fun with the new tank!

B

Agree with the agressive water changes. I usually do 50% a week minimum. Also don't slack on cleaning your filter. I make sure to clean them at least once every 3-4 weeks.

Id say a cory would be fine with that substrate. If you wanted you could always try sand, there are easy methods to switching over. I love Cory's and highly recommend then.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom