Large freshwater fish for a 40g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like a relatively large fish that will be comfortable in a 40g breeder. Id love a puffer but not too knowledgable on them. Something that would live long too. Any suggestions?

ultimatedc said:
I'd like a relatively large fish that will be comfortable in a 40g breeder. Id love a puffer but not too knowledgable on them. Something that would live long too. Any suggestions?

Puffers are species only fish, you could keep them with otos or khuli loaches possibly, but that's about it.

Bigger fish...I say angels, firemouths, convicts, rainbows, T-Bars, and Dwarf cichlids would be a good choice.

Never had luck withangels. I got a malawi tank but a lot are juveniles. I wouldn't mind a species tank. Id love an oscar but I can't afford a larger tank.

You probably shouldn't do any saltwater puffer tank unless you are willing to mess around with salt and a refugium ($$$$).

Stick with light brackish or freshwater puffers. What kind of puffers are offered in your location? Is 3inches big enough for you? All of the active brackish and freshwater puffers are around 3 inches. If you want something bigger for your 40g, then it will end up being an inactive/lurker puffer. Are you trying to get a puffer with a good chance of it accepting tankmates (because almost all puffers are territorial and better off being in a tank by themselves)?

Back
Top Bottom