Large Mouth Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retaks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone here ever kept Large Mouth Bass in an aquarium? I aquired a few very tiny 1/2-3/4" Large Mouths today. I can get as many more as i want since they are reproducing extremely quickly in the small pond. There is also an unlimited supply of small Sunfish if i want them. They are going to go in a half filled 10 gal for now so i can figure out how many survived the trip here. Dose anyone have any tips for with keeping fish this small? Ive never tryed it before.

I kept a 8" large mouth and a 10" mud cat in a 30 gal for about two years. They both came from a reservoir that was being drained for repair. They came home in a 5 gallon bucket. I recommend no tropical fish as the local fish have different parasites ect. Fed them mainly beef heart and worms. Left the tank at room temperature with under gravel filter and a 40 watt aquarium bulb. You will need a larger aquarium very soon depending how many you try to keep. I would start with maybe 4. You should check with your local authorities before removing any wildlife from the wild. I.e. the game warden.

i would think that they would be extremly messy fish and you would need twice the filtration of a normal tank and that you would need a monster tank

I got about 30 of them right now in a 10 gal tank. IM trying to figure out how to put a filter on there without getting them sucked in it. They came out of a small decoration pond in a friends backyard. I plan on keeping them at room temp. Most of them im going to use as food for my Piranhas which was my main reason for getting them but i would like to try to raise one or two. They will have a55 gal aquarium in about 2 months becasue my piranhas are going into a 150 gal. I forgot i also have 1 1" sunfish in there also.

At my Local Tattoo shop they have a large mouth bass in a 75 gallon tank they have had it for about 5years with nothing in the tank but water it is doing great and is about 12" or so.

I caught a small one out of our pond yesterday....thought about throwing it in my 75....then though about losing the fish I actually paid for when they became dinner to a slightly larger fish...

I would not mind getting hold of some small bass about that size though, I am looking at a restock right now anyways. I do want a LARGE (280+) tank one day for bass, brim, and gar, maybe a turtle as well

thats so awesome! I would love a tank of local freshwater fish. I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life and I've fished / swam in all the great lakes, so I know a lot of the fish that live there. I've always thought it'd be awesome to have a tank with some of those fish.

Yea i got them eating flake food for now. They are really cool to lay on the floor and look at. I cant wait for them to get a little bigger and in the 55 gal.

A Large Mouth Bass is eventually going to need a very large tank. They are pretty fiesty fish, I've read and so they need their space.

30 of them, well that is a pond. :D You really don't need to release fish back into the wild (its illegal someplaces anyways), so you'll need to figure out what you are going to do with them real soon.

A 55g won't be a long term home for them all. Start digging that huge backyard pond!

Actually most of them are going to be piranha food once they hit the 1"-2" mark. IM gonna keep a few and put them in the stream when they get to about 3"-4" then just keep 1 till its 10"-11".

Back
Top Bottom