Large SAE a bully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a large (4"-6") Siamese Algae Eater bully small (1") Otos? I've heard they can get nasty as they get bigger and more territorial, but I'm looking for some personal experiences!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

SAE

Just to verify you mean Siamese Algae eater, and not Chinese Algae eater?

CAE are aggressive, and I would not get them.

When I had 2 full grown SAE in with Otos and smaller Tetras, like Neons and Glowlight Tetras. the SAE ware 6-7" fish and they swooped around but didn't ever cause any problems. They were in a 72G. They came to me as adults from a 110G tank.

If you are gonna try and keep the SAE in a tank smaller than 40G I would think there might be some aggression if there are other semi aggressive bottom fish in there. If there is a limited area of hiding spaces, they could fight over them. I had mine in a 72G with a very large mature Red tail Shark and they hung out and avoided each other pretty much. One would go one way and the others would go the other way.

I also made sure to have the perimeter of the tank open for swimming, and a couple figure 8 for them to have lots "race" tracks. Meaning the placement of DW and stones and plants so there were lots of paths for them to cruise.

Mine would cruise around at all levels in the tank and also rest on leaves and DW. They were some of my favorite fish.
60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

In my experience they aren't too aggressive once they establish a territory. They're like plecos.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have two SAE's in a 60 g planted and they will squabble with each other but leave the other fish alone. They are my favorite fish, too. Tons of personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 2 in a 46gal planted. They do squabble a bit and though they don't go directly after other fish, it seems like there high speed chases(think 90 mph on a residential street) through an other wise peaceful tank, could end badly at some point...
I call the alpha SAE the vacuum cleaner. He eats all the flake as quick as I can shake it into the tank! My Rams have to chase him off, so they and my cardinals can eat.
They do a good job with hair algae though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom