Large Swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I went to my LPS to get some more plants for my tanks. I always look at the fish whenever I go, its the addiction, I just can't help it! :p
When I looked at the neon swordtails I noticed this weird looking fish. It was huge! It was female and I think pregnant, but it just looked like a giant swordtail. It was the size of a med. bala shark. The coloring was the same as the rest of them, but it had black spots all over the front and sides of the fish. It looked like a small rainbow trout.:huh:
I tried to get a picture but the tanks were dark and my phone has no camera :( Maybe I'll go back later to get a pic.
But is that normal for swordtails?
Thanks All :)

I dont think so but I am interested to see this fish! Was it in a heavy planted tank? That can do it...

These are the best pics I could get, she kept to the back of the tank whenever I came around. I think they are new stock.
They came out really blurry and with about 10+ fish in that section she was hard to catch o_O

I'm not sure what kind of tank they came from this was at petco. The fish guy didn't know anything :-\

Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111229_181027.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_181027.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20111229_181144.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_181144.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 76
Thats an awesome looking fish! I would get it! Looks more like a colorful molly almost doesnt it?

Ya maybe its a cross between a ST and a molly?? But I wonder what the spots are from?

Well, I'm glad that some large mutant fish :) and I hope some gives her a loving home.

Starka said:
Well, I'm glad that some large mutant fish :) and I hope some gives her a loving home.

And I wish I could type tonight x_x
I ment that she wasn't some mutant fish :)

Looks like a swordtail to me. As for the spots I have two female swordtails that are spotted. A green and the other is orange with a black tail fin sold as a painted swordtail.

I'm glad that spots are normal, I was planning to eventually getting a male swordtail from here once I have my QT set up :)

Back
Top Bottom