Large tank? Check THIS out!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha, that is awesome. I especially like the picture where the owner is scuba diving and you see all the fish on the other side of the tank just looking at him. I can only imagine what they might be thinking :D

wow...i mean WOOOOW...and here i am...thinking that when i switched my betta from his little bowl to the 5gal tank was HUGE....lol...

Thanks for posting the link - You know you have arrived when your living room tank comes with a snorkel! :D

If you check out the rest of his site, it's quite incredible the amount of work that went into that thing. It's hard to imagine that there's that much that needs to be done--it's a tank with a heater, filter and lights, right? But the whole setup is a lot more complicated than you'd first think it'd need to be.

He claims that the total for the whole project was 5000 Euros. I find that hard to believe... Some ppl's 55 gallon SW tanks cost that much to set up, if not more.

Hey just a thought... Let me see if I can articulate it...

So, say you have:

1) a RO (reverse osmosis) unit and perhaps a R/O booster pump (makes sure you have enought pressure to operate the RO unit);
2) a really good, *automatic*, reactor to mix necessary chemicals (safe buffers and trace mixes etc.--necessary for RO setups) into the fresh water coming out of the RO unit.
3) a pump system designed to take water from the tank, through the RO unit, into barrels to age the water, and then back into the tank

If you plumbed the whole thing up to work at the 100 gallon per day rate many RO units work at, you might never have to do a water change. You could simply do top-offs. It'd be perfect, too, as you'd be changing out 10% of the water every day, and 100% every 10 days.

I know many ppl say this about regular tanks, but with a RO unit this could actually be a possibility, as RO units take almost all particulates and chemicals out of water. With a diatom filter, or a regular filter, you can't do this, as nitrates, phosphates and other harmful chemicals stay in the water if it's not purified, but with a RO unit, this concern is moot. And with a RO unit, the new water you're putting in the tank is cleaner and more suited to your fish than your tap water!

What do you think? Kinda a neat idea, I think.

wow!!! that is amazing. i love the picture of the guy in the tank with the fish looking at him. i think i saw the same expressions on my fish the day our cat fell in the tank. he came back out too quickly to take a picture, though i'd love to have had one.

i would love a tank like that someday.

Wow, that tank is amazing. I thought it was a lot smaller until I saw him in it!! I'd love to have one of those! :D

MWAhahahaha. I so love photoshop. : grin :

:edit:

Ack - for the lazy folk (like myself) here's an imbedded version to save a click. :D

plongee3zt.jpg

:/edit:

Attachments

• plongee.jpg
    plongee.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 56
That is absolutly amazing. This guy must be retired or have ALOT of free time and money or something. I cant believe that guy invested so much into this. THis truly is an example of how a hobby becomes an obsession. I cant believe the guy can successfully keep Discus in there considering how finnikey they are. WOw, Congrats! C'est la Vi!

Back
Top Bottom