Large unique/oddball for 40 Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PockX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to find a list of fish I could put 1-2 larger fish in my tank. I would like them to be active too. I already know about senegals, ABKs and all of those "oddballs" that you can get at your local petsmart. I have some that I can list but I know some wouldn't be able to last forever in here since thy get bigger but they are:

Red Fin Pickerel
Water Cow
Red Fin Wolf Fish
Bowfin

* that's all I could think of off the top of my head for right now..hopefully you guys can help me out some more.

I'm trying to find a list of fish I could put 1-2 larger fish in my tank. I would like them to be active too. I already know about senegals, ABKs and all of those "oddballs" that you can get at your local petsmart. I have some that I can list but I know some wouldn't be able to last forever in here since thy get bigger but they are:

Red Fin Pickerel
Water Cow
Red Fin Wolf Fish
Bowfin

* that's all I could think of off the top of my head for right now..hopefully you guys can help me out some more.

I just picked up an african butterfly fish, he is pretty cool. Spiny eels are awesome too.

I just picked up an african butterfly fish, he is pretty cool. Spiny eels are awesome too.

I've had spiny/peacocks eels. Butterflies are okay, pretty unique..but I would like something that gets around 12" or bigger.. and that is active all the time.

Spiny eels hide all day long. So if you want active I would get moon led lighting because they pretty much only come out at night

Spiny eels hide all day long. So if you want active I would get moon led lighting because they pretty much only come out at night

I know, I don't really care for them anymore after I had one. Lol

I'm looking for more of a single predator type fish. I don't really like gars either..lol.

Peacock bass?! They grow HUGE and will eat anything in the tank, and need over 200 gallons to be held in an aquarium. And that is just the small ones, there is species that can grown over 4 feet! Also a red belly piranha is a terrible idea. Again, way to big and active to be put in a small tank.

What fish are in the tank now?

Peacock bass?! They grow HUGE and will eat anything in the tank, and need over 200 gallons to be held in an aquarium. And that is just the small ones, there is species that can grown over 4 feet! Also a red belly piranha is a terrible idea. Again, way to big and active to be put in a small tank.

What fish are in the tank now?

I currently just had a senegal bichir, african brown knife and a black ghost knife.. the BGK is just temporary..the others can be too if need be in that tank.

Ok...well that's already stocked pretty good. That's a lot of big fish for a 40 gallon. Do you test your water? Are your parameters all good?

ctenopoma, or African bush fish, or spotted leaf fish. They have a bunch of names. They grown to about 6 inches, and float vertically and wait for prey, then suck them in with their huge mouths. They are cool, but can be very picky eaters.

Ok...well that's already stocked pretty good. That's a lot of big fish for a 40 gallon. Do you test your water? Are your parameters all good?

Yup, haven't had any problems. They're all still pretty young. Still lots of room in there. I might just stick with that stocking and then just sell the BGK when he gets too big to my LFS

ctenopoma, or African bush fish, or spotted leaf fish. They have a bunch of names. They grown to about 6 inches, and float vertically and wait for prey, then suck them in with their huge mouths. They are cool, but can be very picky eaters.

I have looked into them before..my LFS had a few and throughout the week I saw them slowly die off so I didn't want them lol.

Maybe red belly piranhas? Those are interesting to feed.

You could do 3 of those as long as you had good water and kept up with water changes. Couldn't do the peacock bass, they do get VERY big and I wouldn't be able to get rid of that.

Back
Top Bottom