Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Plecostoman
Largemouth Bass

Anyone ever consider keeping a Bass? I thought it'd be pretty cool. My buddy caught a channel cat once and kept it in a 55.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

my brother has done this before ! i know in some areas its really not legal to do !

Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Quote:
My buddy caught a channel cat once and kept it in a 55.
And i hope he upgraded that tank!

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
my brother has done this before ! i know in some areas its really not legal to do !
This is what I always thought in WI. I was suprised to see an LFS with large and small mouth bass along with perch. They were farm raised though. I guess they popular with the college crowd. I do not think it is legal to go catch any game fish though for the aquarium trade.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, it can very well be done, but as suggested, check your local and state regulations.
You would need a very large tank as it matures, Bass are territorial and messy eaters/poopers just as larger Cichlids and require IMO atleast a "minimum" of 5gals per inch (keyword "minimum") and as Bass can get large to very large, do the math...

I know of truckstop (I'm a trucker) in Texas that has a beautiful FW tank in excess of 500 gals with multiple Bass and some others tankmates.
I'm pretty sure its a biotope tank and its very impressive!

I've seen other post here and else where talking about different types of Bass, in particular the Peacock Bass, which is a beautiful fish.
Do a search of past post.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
You can keep a peacock bass but will need a very large aquarium. They are very colorful and I seen them at my lfs.
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had several largemout bass in aquariums over the years. They are very interesting and have a lot of personality. It illegal here now without a permit from F&G. They are messy and eat like you can't believe. I have had them go from 3 inches to 12 inches in a year and 16 inches and 2 pounds the next year. If its legal for you they are neat fish.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had some large mouth bass accidentally introduced to my pond this year. They ate all of my pupfish & my red shiners (same body size) & most of my mosquitofish (the population is just now recovering). They will literally eat anything including snakes & baby ducks. So any tankmate should be significantly larger than they are.

They are also really smart. I had trouble getting rid of them (the last 2 I had to get with a 22 when they where fishing in the shallows). I literally had tried everything else including electroshocking (I know a fish biologist).

Despite my erm . . . resentment . . . I am sure they would be wonderful specimen fish for a tank. You could probably train them because they are sooo food motivated.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats why they are one of the best Game fish in the USA.
I kept a small largemouth when i was younger. And i have been fishing for
15 years, and i have lakefront property, so i have alot of experiance with this.
I had a small, 8 inch bass, in with a cray fish, a channal cat, a bullhead cat, and some sunfish.

The bass would eat everything, from frogs to fish. They are voracious eaters.

They are also very smart.

How ever ive caught 8 pounders and 12 pounders, and i dont think thats somthing you would want in your tank...
take a look at these monstes: http://www.solarexpert.com/fishing/Bass.html

Ive also kept big bins full of bass, perch, crappie, and sunfish fry.

When these fish spawn in late spring, huge schools of cry swim around the lake in the shallows, i just dip in a butterfly net and take some out, if somehow you could do this, it is very interesting to watch them grow, i always realse them when they reach an inch. however, because i have no where for them, and theres a 300 billion gallon lake for them in my back yard, lol.

A good fish, that wont get bigger than your average oscar, and is VERY pretty, not too aggressive, likes tropical temperatures, is very hardy, and a good eater....
the sun fish!

there are some REALLY pretty ones that rival alot of tropical fish. here are some pics:

http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Vancouver%20Aquarium/p-15%20Juvenile%20pumpkinseed%20sunfish%20(introduce d).jpg <- juvinile pumpkinseed

http://www.njscuba.net/img-uw/other/longear_sunfish.jpg -> longear sunfish

http://floridafisheries.com/images/fish-pic/lep-cya.jpg <- green sunfish

http://jonahsaquarium.com/piclhumilis06.htm
http://www.nativefish.org/Gallery/Lepomis-humilis-1.jpg < both orange spotted sunfish

http://floridafisheries.com/images/fish-pic/lep-mar.jpg <- dollar sunfish

hehe, those should interest you

have fun

1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 1 large tinfoil barb, 1 rosy barb, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
kukerdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com