Larger fish for 55gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxfrenkel19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

So I've got a 55 gallon aquarium set up and a bunch of really nice fish. However, none of the current tank residents make it past about 3". I'd really like to get at least one fish that I don't have to squint at to see!

So I'd love to hear some ideas as to some interesting, larger fish that I could use (I am getting an angel next week so I'll have one larger fish!) I know plecos/catfish can get bigger and maybe some more peaceful cichlids?

Let me know your favorites! Thanks, I really appreciate any advice.

You said you have a 55g tank but what fish are in it? Can't suggest anything without knowing what you have and how many.

Sorry I should have mentioned my fish. The reason I didn't is that I'm be willing to get rid of a number of fish for the sake of a bigger "prize specimen" (I inherited this tank with 12ish fish in it, so I have no real connection with them)

Anyway, the tank is currently stocked with:

2 bolivian rams (these i bought and would be sadder to lose)
6 neon tetras
1 oto cat (soon to be three)
3 cory cats
3 platties
(there are also about 6 other various tetras, but I'll be donating them to the LFS shortly)

I also plan on getting one angelfish, as I mentioned.

Hope this helps, thanks for your feedback.

With a 55g you can have 1 or 2 angels, keep the rams, keep the oto's and cory's. You should re-home the neons as the angels will most likely eat them. You could then go with a Pearl gourami (if you want something larger), or a dwarf gourami for something with alot of color (males), A school of Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish ( would give you some flash and movement in the tank and would be fine with the angels, rams, oto's, and cory's. Here's a link so you can see the dwarf neon rainbows...
Dwarf Neon Rainbow - Medium Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale

Oh, I'd get rid of the platy's unless you really like them.

Thanks for the reply Rivercats.

I will have to get rid of the neons then, but I definitely would like to have a school of SOMETHING in the tank, as I love watching them swim together. How big would the fish need to be to keep it safe from the angel? I do like your idea for a school of rainbows, I'll definitely look into it. I remember the boesemani are beautiful, but I don't know if I have room for a school.

I forgot about the dwarf gouramis! Definitely getting one I think the males are incredible.

I am getting rid of the platties. They get to stay for now because the girlfriend likes them, but I'll remove them once I need more room.

Thanks for the advice!

I think 3 Silver Dollars would look nice in your tank but if you have any live plants they will get eaten.

Sounds like rainbows are the way to go I'll look into it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

The boesemani are incredible! Only problem is that fishprofiles.com says they get to about 6". I think rainbows need to school (am i wrong?), so with a 6 fish school thats 36" of fish! It would take up most of my tank and there are so many more fish I want. If I could get just one or two that'd be a whole different story

maxfrenkel19 said:
The boesemani are incredible! Only problem is that fishprofiles.com says they get to about 6". I think rainbows need to school (am i wrong?), so with a 6 fish school thats 36" of fish! It would take up most of my tank and there are so many more fish I want. If I could get just one or two that'd be a whole different story

You are correct , they would need a school. Why don't you boost up the Cories then look into a Denison barb or two. These are the only exception of barbs where you can have just one or two. Even though they look incredible in a school.

If you want rainbows you'd have to stick with the Dwarf Neon's. You can also get a school or two of tetras. There are larger ones like Diamonds and Lemons that aren't nippers (which you need to watch with angels) and then a school of cardinals (larger than neons) or rummy nose. The diamonds and lemons have a different body shape than the cardinals and rummy's which gives you a more varied look in your tank. Or you could also do some hatchet fish or threadfin rainbows for surface swimmers. You still have alot of choices.

Back
Top Bottom