Lava rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just went to Local box LFS and bought 1 palm sized lava rock on sale for 3.99 reg 4.99. Then started thinking can I use lave rocks sold for grills at lowes or walmart?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391366333.255550.jpg 9.99 for 7lbs?

Only if the grill rocks were NOT chemically treated for anything. The downside to using these also is size. The grill rocks will be smaller than anything you get at a LFS. I've used Lava Rocks in my fresh and salt tanks for decades. You can do some amazing aquascaping with them for sure. Bigger rocks make for better contrast.

Just check the bag (or test them with a single fish or 2). ;) Worst case if they kill the fish, you will have lost $10.00, best case, you have rocks for your grill :D

Thanks
I am going to pick up a bag and see how it goes.
Sorry it took so long to get back life got busy.

I will let you know, might buy some this weekend.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395589257.793990.jpg
Sorry life's been busy finally had time to buy the rocks and a spare tank. So today u put rocks and 3 zebra danios. I figured I'd give it 2 weeks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395964014.869440.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395964036.972979.jpg
So here is the break down. Tank is an established 5 gallon tank that we moved fish out of. Bag of rocks was 7 lbs I put just about 1/2 bag in (large rock in center with Java fern was existing). Sunday put 3 danios in Sunday night 1 checked out, I think this had nothing I do with rocks he was not very healthy looking. So as of now the other 2 are doing very good.
The rocks are on the smaller size as you can see in the picture. Most are med to small in the bag.
This was the only brand to chose from at Home Depot.
I will keep this going for another week then move fish to larger tank. And give wife back the end table, and hopefully get out of the dog house.

They are still going strong. So I think this weekend I will add the fish to my tank and use the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom