Lava rocks as the FW version of Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone heard of using lava rocks in FW tanks to keep nitrates low, similar to how SW uses live rock? Is this a legitimate thing, or just a sales pitch? Using Lava Rocks to Denitrify Aquariums, Fish Bowls, and Ponds.

I'd imagine having lava rock in the tank would be asking for fish injuries... But I guess if the benefits are real you could put them in a sump. Obviously regular water changes are the ideal way to keep nitrates down, but I'm curious if this has any merit as an alternative to understocking or doing multiple water changes a week for the health of super nitrate-sensitive invertebrates & fish. What do you guys think?

I keep lots of lava rock in my tanks, have little to no injuries but I haven't really noticed any "special" abilities but it defiantly can host a lot of bacteria in it so I could see the benefits. Some filters even use it as a media. Good thing I have over 200 pounds of denitrifying rocks lol

image-1634013287.jpg

image-3953074691.jpg

Those do look really nice! I guess I'm just paranoid about injuries because I tend to keep long finned fish or fish with sensitive parts (bettas, guppies, long-fin GBRs, long-fin danios, gourami, loaches, etc). I learned really quickly to make sure all my decorations in my betta tanks were smooth to avoid tearing up their gorgeous fins...

Those do look really nice! I guess I'm just paranoid about injuries because I tend to keep long finned fish or fish with sensitive parts (bettas, guppies, long-fin GBRs, long-fin danios, gourami, loaches, etc). I learned really quickly to make sure all my decorations in my betta tanks were smooth to avoid tearing up their gorgeous fins...

I keep mine in a African Cichlid they enjoy the caves that are easily formed by the rock. I've got some long fin gold rams but I don't keep lava rock in there since they will have a hard time spawning on it.

Back
Top Bottom