Lava sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I just thought about using lava sand as a substrate. Lava sand is great for plants as it will hold down fertilizer and slowly release it to the plant. Plants will be able to anchor easily. Is there any drawbacks to this idea? Has anyone done / thought about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's basically what Ecocomplete is -- finely crushed lava rock. Many people like it because it has a high CEC and is attractive looking.

Oh I never knew that. Could you make it yourself? Get lava rock and crush it?

Sure, don't see the harm. Not sure if it'd be worth it though unless you're getting the lava rock for free, as fluorite or Eco complete can be had pretty cheap sometimes when they're on sale.

Yeah Eco complete is usually $30 for 20lbs. I have lava rock in my yard. I'll try it out in a 10g to see how it looks.

I'm just going to get a bin and put some lava rock in it and smash it with a cinder block lol

Just buy the bag trust me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha yeah I wasted an hour today hitting rocks with the back of an axe. I got the idea when I saw it on eBay. Not sure what place is the bet to buy from tho.

Back
Top Bottom