Layer of film on top of the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it normal to have a layer of... film? on the top of the water? My 75gal is has an irredecent film on the top (reminds me of dish soap-y water). My fish are fine and the water is testing great. Is this normal? And what is causing it?

Thanks

I have the same thing on both of my tanks. A book I have states that 'Every healthy aquarium has a film on the surface that looks a bit oily'. It doesn't state why this is healthy or what it is though :?

it is dirt! it is oil!... it could be your cologne! it is CRAP! that layer of film is not meant to be there, although it is normal for tanks to have it. WAnt to get rid of it? there is a way!

Get a poly filter and stick it in the filter. It will clean all that stuff out. GL!

Make sure your hands and arms are scrubbed free of any oils, moisturizers or lotions before doing tank work.

Also, some foods, such as M.Y.S.I.S. will leave an oily film because of their high fat content. I find that by thawing and netting them before I feed, it leaves the oily film behind in the thawing container.

If you have too heavy of a layer of film on the surface it can affect oxygen exchange. Surface agitation generally helps, but isn't feasable in planted tanks.

Some people also lay a paper towel on the top of their tank to "absorb" the oily layers.

You can build Clown Monarch's suggestion for any diamater intake tube with pvc piping, fwiw. Cut vertical slits in the upwards-pointing pvc to control water level and "skim" the surface. The DIY SW/sump guys on this forum share lots of techniques in the archives.

Glad I noticed this post, was just pondering about my tank which has surface film not 10 minutes ago! :drain:

Normally my hands are pretty clean when I stick em in there

I will check into the skimmer stuff, I might have a skimmer in the garage.. I will look into that- Thanks Clown Monarch for the link, and thanks everyone else for your helpful infmoration =o)

Film

Nothing removes the film better than a piece of newspaper and no, the ink will not come off and harm your fish. I was taught this many years ago and haven't found a better solution yet. It really works great, - Frank/Guppyman®

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/Busko/

skimmer-small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom